Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: When will Roku add VidAngel as a Channel?

Jump to solution

@Luked3 

Roku revamped the non-certified app process, and is no longer allowing them long-term. There can be short-term (120 days) non-certified apps for beta testing (limited number of users). The purpose of the of the non-certified repository was for app developers to make apps available to the public (essentially beta testing) until code was finalized and submitted for certification. However, many app developers abused the process and simply left their apps in the non-certified repository.

To have an app in the Channel Store, VidAngel needs to code one to standards, to include allowing subscriptions via Roku Pay. Roku doesn't require subscriptions be through Roku Pay, but they require the app developer to allow subscriptions be that way. And for ad-supported apps, the ads must work with Roku's ad system.

Additionally, the app must not violate laws, such as copyright violations. VidAngel was guilty of that with their service (on Roku via a non-certified app), losing a $62-million judgement to Disney and Warner Bros. over copyright violation.

So, how would VidAngel get an app in the Channel Store for the first time?

VidAngel would have to code their app to standards, to include allowing Roku Pay integration (same as Netflix, Hulu, and every other app), and Roku Ad integration, if applicable. And they would have to prove to Roku that they are no longer breaking the law.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Toomeedom

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

Looks like another instance of a corporation deciding it needs to censor that which it does not like. Roku, you should consider the desires of your customers. If we don't want to listen to foul language and watch sex scenes, we should have the right not to watch them. It's our decision, not yours. I should be able to censor what I want to censor on my TV. That isn't your decision. Put VidAngel back in the app store. 

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Toomeedom 

VidAngel would have to code to standards, then submit the app for certification. Just as Netflix had to, as Hulu had to, as everyone had to.

Roku may also want proof VidAngel is now operating without violating copyright, as VidAngel was doing when they lost the judgement.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Toomeedom wrote:

Put VidAngel back in the app store. 

VidAngel was never in the channel store. It has never been an officially supported channel. When Roku shut down non-certified channels, VidAngel was not a specific target. They shut them ALL down. There were hundreds if not thousands of non-certified channels that were removed. Roku had to do it for liability reasons, even though many of those channels may have been streaming content legally. The legal risk was too great for the company to allow it to continue.

VidAngel claims they have submitted their channel for certification, but have been refused without explaination. We'll never know the accuracy of their statement, because Roku will never respond publicly about it. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Actually, VidAngel was at one time in the app store...I can remember the good 'ol days when you could search for the VidAngel app in the store!

DBDukes

Jump to solution

VidAngel has an Amazon Fire TV app. Unless and until they code a Roku app to standards and submit for certification, that may be the easiest way to use that service.

DBDukes

0 Kudos

Vidangel not working for current customer.

Jump to solution

Half of my family have roku tvs because vidangel worked on them. After getting the word that roku will not only allow their app on roku channel, but has repeatedly refused to approve their app to roku, we were nervous about whether it will continue working. We were assured by Roku that current customers will be able to continue using it, but lo and behold it is no longer working! Although we do not have the money to replace our roku smart tvs, we will be buying devices to use vidangel. You are costing us money roku and I do not appreciate it! Will roku be finally approving the app for vidangel soon? I’ve been letting everyone I know about this so they won’t be fooled into purchasing roku thinking that roku is open to providing for their customers multiple streaming services. You have **bleep** apps, but we can’t have an app that cuts out their offensive content? 

preacherjt

Why isn't VidAngel available?

Jump to solution

I totally understand why Roku ended the private channels, but I do not understand why a channel like Vidangel, that has tried to become an official channel, still hasn't been approved. Surely that can be done in less than a year. 

peterparker
Streaming Star

WHERE IS VIDANGEL! MAJOR FAIL FOR ROKU TO LOSE THEM.

Jump to solution

Had Vidangel App on Roku. Now can't find it. Vidangel reports that they submitted to be added to the channel store on Roku devices, but has not been added.

SERIOUS FAIL. I dont care about Roku at all except that the platform is affordable and it has Vidangel and Angel Studios. I watch other things, but usually filtered through Vidangel.

WHY IN THE WORLD would Vidangel not be able to get onto the Roku platform--the Vidangel app was already there! All Roku needed to do is add it back on.

So, about done with Roku. Amazon Fire TV anyone? Or Apple TV? Anything with Vidangel is always better than anything without it.

DBDukes

Re: WHERE IS VIDANGEL! MAJOR FAIL FOR ROKU TO LOSE THEM.

Jump to solution

@peterparker 

I know it's on Amazon Fire TV.

It's unlikely VidAngel would be approved on Roku until Roku is satisfied that VidAngel is no longer breaking the law. They violated copyright law and lost a $60+ million judgement to Disney and Warner Bros. VidAngel is now no longer using content from those studios.

Since Roku requires all apps with subscriptions be connected to Roku Pay, if another judgement from other studios hit, Roku would not want to be liable for paying any portion of a judgement, if it was ruled that funds VidAngel collected were improper, and Roku took its Roku Pay commission.

Now, it is possible for a company that was violating copyright law to later get an app on Roku. PlayOn was banned (not simply allowed to expire, as VidAngel and hundreds of others were done). However, PlayOn was able to change their business model to a legal one and Roku was satisfied to the point of allowing PlayOn in the Channel Store. In fact, PlayOn has two apps in the Channel Store.

VidAngel probably has a long row to hoe when it comes to getting approval, due to their past behavior. I'm not saying it won't happen -- witness PlayOn -- but it probably won't happen soon. If you want to give your money to a company like VidAngel, Fire TV may be your best option for now.

DBDukes

0 Kudos