Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

@jacobsonfam 

Roku is shutting off all non-certified apps. All. Every one of them.

Roku allows the developers to submit apps for certification. If VidAngel chooses to not submit, that's VidAngel's decision.

As of now, the apps still work. So, why are you pissed at Roku for something that hasn't happened?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

DBDukes

Re: Roku is disallowing Vidangel!?

Jump to solution

@MichaelJensen98 

That says that Roku is no longer allowing non-certified apps. It also says developers can submit their apps for certification. Why are you saying that Roku is not allowing VidAngel. If you have the app, it still works, until the non-certified apps are shut off. VidAngel can submit their app and get it certified. I'm asking why you say Roku isn't allowing VidAngel, when Roku has told everyone that hasn't bothered to certify exactly how they can certify. You should be telling VidAngel to submit their app.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Wraith1000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Here is what VidAngel has said along with the source:

Why isn’t VidAngel in Roku’s official store?

We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel and provided little insight regarding that decision. That’s why users have had to manually install our app onto their Roku device rather than downloading it from the official store. 

We remain optimistic that they will reconsider in the future. In the meantime, we’re refocusing our efforts on expanding the number of devices and systems where you can watch VidAngel.

https://vidangelsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423777885069-FAQ-for-VidAngel-Roku-users#h_01...

Roku needs to get their act together and actually provide valid feedback to help VidAngel accomplish this.  Their goal should be to encourage valid channels to go public, but it sounds to me like they don't want VidAngel on the platform for some unknown reason. It's not helpful and it's making people upset.

Wraith1000
Binge Watcher

Re: VidAngel not supported?? Why??

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Here is what VidAngel has said along with the source:

Why isn’t VidAngel in Roku’s official store?

We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel and provided little insight regarding that decision. That’s why users have had to manually install our app onto their Roku device rather than downloading it from the official store. 

We remain optimistic that they will reconsider in the future. In the meantime, we’re refocusing our efforts on expanding the number of devices and systems where you can watch VidAngel.

https://vidangelsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423777885069-FAQ-for-VidAngel-Roku-users#h_01...

Roku needs to get their act together and actually provide valid feedback to help VidAngel accomplish this.  Their goal should be to encourage valid channels to go public, but it sounds to me like they don't want VidAngel on the platform for some unknown reason. It's not helpful and it's making people upset.

HerrimanCoder
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

I, also, am very upset about this. Vidangel on Roku is a match made in heaven. A wonderful combo. I posted a similar thread yesterday, not knowing about this thread over here.

Roku: Either give a valid reason why you won't certify Vidangel, or certify them!

HerrimanCoder
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just discovered another post on this same topic that's getting lots of attention.

skidder
Channel Surfer

No more VidAngel? Goodbye Roku!

Jump to solution

Just got a warning from VidAngel that Roku will no longer support their channel on my Roku devices as of Feb 23rd 2022.  Goodbye Roku, switching to FireTV or Android TV, they understand how important this channel to so many families across the country.

atvmudrat

Jump to solution

All the families in our church group will have no choice but to stop buying Roku products after February 23. We use VidAngel so we can block certain content. They have the best app of all the apps we use. Been a customer since 2017 but I can’t stay without VidAngel to filter content. We will switch to Fire.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Was going to suggest that all of you affected can probably still cast the content using VidAngel's app, and then noticed that VidAngel is currently recommending this as they try to sort things out. (https://vidangelsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055822471-Watch-on-Roku)

This casting route is the route many streamers have to take on various platforms when a specified channel is not available or using various online content.  I certainly understand that this may not be as easy as just using the VidAngel's channel, but it is an option.  I am sure Roku's silence on the matter is not helping the situation either.

Not a user of VidAngel, but see nothing wrong with their service as they provide it.   (https://vidangelsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055415812-What-is-VidAngel-and-how-does-it-...)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Kreigar
Reel Rookie

Re: Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

atc98092 summed it up well.  Vidangel has claimed very publicly that they have submitted their channel for certification numerous times, including as recently as Fall 2021...

"We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel and provided little insight regarding that decision."

I'd like to hear Roku's side.  Until I do, I trust that Vidangel is telling the truth, and I have no other option than to assume that Roku is simply not listening to their customers and is actively preventing a channel they don't agree with from having an equal opportunity to certify.  It's seems to be popular these days for companies to discriminate based on backroom policies and prejudice, and I haven't seen or heard anything to lead me to believe that isn't exactly what Roku is doing.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.