Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asharon75411
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

There is fix so you don't have to buy anything else at least it works right now>>>>> I did it just a few min ago before ordering the firestick, just let me know if you're interested? I am not able to create a new post on this thread so I can only reply to individual posts 😞

0 Kudos
Asharon75411
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

There is fix so you don't have to buy anything else at least it works right now I did it just a few min ago before ordering the firestick, just let me know if you're interested? I am not able to create a new post on this thread so I can only reply to individual posts Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RonWR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Extremely disappointed in ROKU dropping Vidangel. It was the only decent way to watch TV and movies these days.  ROKU may tell you Vidangel was not part of the ROKU store but Vidangel has tried multiple times to become a part and has submitted applications only to be ignored and ROKU does not even have the common decency to respond to them.. I was almost exclusively a ROKU user, owning 3 devices and a ROKU TV, but I am moving to my FireTV cube.

I will be replacing my other devices with Amazon products.

Weech
Channel Surfer

Channel access | Private channel removal

Jump to solution

It appears that Vidangel has applied to be a certified channel.  "

Why isn’t VidAngel in Roku’s official store?

We’ve submitted the VidAngel channel for review multiple times over the years, including as recently as the fall of 2021. Each time, Roku has declined to approve our channel and provided little insight regarding that decision. That’s why users have had to manually install our app onto their Roku device rather than downloading it from the official store. 

We remain optimistic that they will reconsider in the future. In the meantime, we’re refocusing our efforts on expanding the number of devices and systems where you can watch VidAngel."

We have used Roku for years and also rely heavily on Vidangel for movie and series viewing.  It looks like we will need to switch to Fire TV at this point.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RonWR Just to clarify. Roku is not "dropping" VidAngel. It has never been a supported channel. Roku has removed support for ALL non-certified channels, not singling out VidAngel or any other private channel. There are sound legal reasons for them doing so, which has already been mentioned in this thread.

I wish I knew the reasoning for Roku declining to certify a channel for VidAngel, but it's not something Roku will ever respond to here in this forum. If they ever respond publicly, it would likely be in their blog. But this is a community support forum, not tech support, and absolutely is not a conduit to upper management. I do wish I could offer something more substantial, but that's what it is.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
lamar7969

Jump to solution

I'm interested. What did you figure out? 

BNB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Splitting hairs by saying they are not dropping VidAngel! Dropping the non-certified channels and not certifying the channel IS dropping VidAngel.  I realize that the decision isn’t exclusive to VidAngel but there is no need to correct the statement. 

I’m not sure why I feel the need to clarify that. Maybe curiosity to see if someone is required to reply and correct me. Seems like there is.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No one is required to reply. But it does require correction when someone claims it's a direct attack on VidAngel. It has never been a supported channel. It has always been a private channel. Roku for valid legal reasons has decided to terminate support for all private channels. As others have mentioned, some developers have abused the functionality of the private channels, so Roku is pulling them all. There is still a procedure to test beta versions of channels, but they can't be used as a substitute for channel certification now.

It's a shame it impacts this channel, and I understand the frustration about not knowing the reason Roku won't certify the channel. It appears to be serving a reasonable purpose, especially compared to so many of the other private channels going away. I do wish Roku would make a statement, but I seriously doubt they ever will. But if they do, it won't be here in this forum. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
currah
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Leave.  I have 3 Roku's I'll just give away to help save some coin for those looking to buy a new Roku device.

currah
Channel Surfer

Re: VidAngel will help replace your Roku

Jump to solution

The irony is that VidAngel actually brings more customers to Disney who would not otherwise expose thier kids to inappropriate content.  Walt Disney himself would use VidAngel if he could not stop the direction his company has gone.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.