Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonWR
Reel Rookie

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

Just spoke with Vidangel and they said they have applied at ROKU multiple times, the last being in December.  It seems to be ROKU is not responding to them.

RonWR
Reel Rookie

Re: Any thoughts on VidAngel

Jump to solution

I think you have hit it on the head. I have the Firestick Cube and will be moving all my stuff over to it. I have said in the past the ROKU was easier to navigate, but Firestick, here I come.

Chanteln

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

We just recently started using VidAngel and we LOVE it. Especially how it has been working on our Roku with our other channels. When we heard that VidAngel was being discontinued on our Roku, we immediately contacted them. As others have mentioned, Roku said they have applied to be a certified channel and their request has been denied multiple times without further clarification. Roku-PLEASE PLEASE review this channel again (or provide more clarification to VidAngel) as it has become a life saver for our family. We are able to watch far more than we typically would because of VidAngel.  It felt like everything was just garbage on TV before we were able to start filtering.  Want to watch your favorite book-turned-miniseries?  Everything is fine, watching with your kids until BOOM, naked person! and you didn't even see that coming, nor was it necessary.  Problem solved with VidAngel.

I am curious as to what else may have been required by Roku...is it something like being able to track what shows or events customers are watching on their other channels?  I could see that being valuable information.  Certainly difficult to track a customer watching Amazon programs (or Netflix or whatever) through VidAngel and IF Roku suggested VidAngel add that functionality...which seems like an invasion of privacy for the consumer...which perhaps isn't all on the up and up, so it wouldn't be made public information as to the reason why VidAngel is denied....but IF Roku suggested it (not required, of course, but certainly interesting that VidAngel gets denied without clarification) After all, information is the most valuable commodity these days. 

I am just spitballing, just my thoughts.  Maybe Roku can tell us precisely what it really is.  Or maybe they don't want to...

I mean, what else could it be???

crosstraxcmi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow! I am having a hard time believing that Roku is pulling the plug on VidAngel! I have purchased 8 Roku devices over the years and am currently using 2 Ultras, 2 Premier + and 1 Express+ in my house in Canada and in the USA. This is one of the few channels that I use all the time along with Netflix and Prime.

If you are wondering why this is in here twice, it is because I have a USA and Canada account...

crosstrax

Jump to solution

Wow! I am having a hard time believing that Roku is pulling the plug on VidAngel! I have purchased 8 Roku devices over the years and am currently using 2 Ultras, 2 Premier + and 1 Express + in my house in Canada and in the USA. This is one of the few channels that I use all the time along with Netflix and Prime.

Steverino1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Casting works great for me and may entirely avoid this issue. About a year ago there was some issue with the VidAngel Roku channel and the recommendation was made to install the VidAngel Android Mobile app on my phone, run the app on my phone, and simply cast to the Roku device on my TV -- completely bypassing any apps on Roku. So that's what I've been doing for the past year and it has worked very well. As far as I can tell, this will continue to work after the VA channel on Roku is gone.

0 Kudos
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Can somebody at Roku PLEASE respond to this thread?  🙄

It's feeling like you guys aren't even monitoring your own support forums!  😭

I hope you can see that you have a HUGE following of very loyal Roku users who are EXTREMELY sad about losing VidAngel on their Roku devices.

We all want to stay with Roku but without VidAngel, we will be forced to move away to another streaming platform. Once we incur the time and money associated with such a switch we will never come back.

This thread only represents a small fraction of the VidAngel users out there. I say that with full confidence because I've set up at least a hundred other households onto the Roku platform exclusively for viewing VidAngel. Many of these users will be silent throughout this exchange because they are less technical users. Of these hundred households, there's many Roku devices per housebound. it must equate to hundreds upon hundreds of individual Roku devices. This is just from my own influences... I'm sure there's many others who have voiced concerns in this forum who have equally influenced a huge silent following of Roku devices.  I hope you think about the tens of thousands of not hundreds of thousands of Roku devices that will disappear as a result of losing VidAngel!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just approve the VidAngel App into the channel store!

🙏  😔  🙏 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@crosstrax wrote:

Wow! I am having a hard time believing that Roku is pulling the plug on VidAngel! 

They aren't pulling the plug specifically on VidAngel. They are removing support for all non-certified channels. I do wish Roku would explain the reason for not certifying their channel, but this isn't something specific against them. Virtually all the adult content channels are being pulled as well, not that I care about them. But it's not specific to VidAngel. Since so many of the non-certified channels are being used for streaming content illegally (usually means without permission of the content owners), Roku decided to shut them all down. Unfortunately, that catches a few channels that aren't doing so.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@AngryAnchovy wrote:

Can somebody at Roku PLEASE respond to this thread?  🙄

It's feeling like you guys aren't even monitoring your own support forums!  😭

This is a user community forum, not a support forum for Roku. While there are a few Roku employees that moderate the forum, they are not tech support, and I've never seen a tech post on here. The moderators do try to help, but they are limited by the information available to them. For issues like this, I've seen other people report far better response from Roku on their Facebook page. That seems to be more closely monitored by the company management. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AngryAnchovy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

... For issues like this, I've seen other people report far better response from Roku on their Facebook page. That seems to be more closely monitored by the company management. 

Can anyone give me the link or Facebook group that would be the best place to post in?

It would be super helpful if I could be directed to the place where we can draw the most attention from the Roku management team.

Thanks in advance!