Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kreigar
Reel Rookie

Re: Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

What's more telling is the crystal-clear message Roku is sending this community that...

they   simply   don't   care.

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Why won't Roku allow Vidangel to be a certified channel?

Jump to solution

Vidangel may state that Roku has provided little insight regarding that decision but that does not mean Roku has not provided some insight regarding the decision.  I know I am not going to change anyone's opinion nor will I try but Roku has standards for certifying a channel and Vidangel apparently has not met those standards.  There are multiple other streaming devices one can choose if they want to receive Vidangel.  

PastorC
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku no longer supporting VidAngel

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, so are you suggesting that we buy another mobile phone and dedicate it to screen sharing movies on Roku?

I appreciate you offering a work around solution. However, I wouldn't need that feature if Roku simply approves the app, which many are obviously using already.

Could we please get answers from Roku as to why they are allowing this to impact so many of their customer's lives in a such negative way?

I hope that some decision maker from Roku can negotiate to keep VidAngel working, as I've decided that I'll be left with no but to try fire stick if this isn't trailed l resolved by Roku's cutoff date of February 23rd. 😔

nonac56

Jump to solution

@Warrenoh88 wrote:

We watch nost of our shows and movies through VidAngel due to wanting to filter out unwanted language and sex scenes.  I just got a note that VidAngel will no longer be supported on Roku.  We bought our Roku to be able to use this service, now it's obsolete.   Any other ideas, or do we just have to switch to a FireStick???  VidAngel said they will be launching a channel there.  VERY disappointed with Roku.

We too will be leaving Roku just as we were about to spend $$$$ on one of their audio systems. There is next to no intelligent family viewing today and being able to watch a few popular movies and TV shows on VidAngel is not too much to ask of Roku. Fire stick here we come ! The customer is still king and you just lost two more. 

Dperkins

Jump to solution

I am also extremely disappointed in this decision by Roku.  I have purchased 4 Roku players over the years as the interface and programming has been excellent.  However if they will not allow VidAngel to become an allowed channel, I may have to switch to an Apple or Amazon player.  These days they all support each other’s apps and those others allow VidAngel.  Roku should see how many people use the VidAngel app currently and realize that they need to approve the channel.  

feckyou_ukor
Reel Rookie

Re: No more VidAngel? Goodbye Roku!

Jump to solution

VidAngel may be fixed.  But worse off they're removing all non-certified channels - even though many people I know including me purchased them specifically for that reason.

Thanks Roku for screwing everyone!

pjf13

Jump to solution

This news was very disappointing.  I have one AppleTV device and two Roku's - without being able to access VidAngel on my Roku devices going forward, I will most likely be switching to all AppleTV.  I hope that Roku reconsider's their disapproval of VidAngel in their channel store.

skidder
Channel Surfer

Re: No more VidAngel? Goodbye Roku!

Jump to solution

Yes, I agree.  And that is why Vidangel has to leave because it's not what they consider "certified".  Major bummer.  I bought several subscriptions and movies that I will never watch again because I don't want to hear them bring the Lord's name down to the level of a four level filth word. 

breakerbreaker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar But that really is a non-solution. I've tried dedicating my phone to casting and it's a pain to setup, super unreliable, my phone gets super hot, and it kills my battery. Just let me kick back and use my remote without getting out a stupid phone that I'm already trying to get away from. Simply put, it's a terrible experience. I can't imagine how someone would prefer this method of streaming or would even suggest it as a practical solution.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@breakerbreaker I agree that casting from a phone or tablet is a pain. I've used that method a few times back before my church switched to YouTube for their online platform. In my case, I used a Windows 10 laptop as the casting device, which removes the problem of the phone battery. But it's still a clunky way to put something on the larger screen. But it is a successful workaround for some situations. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.