Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladyfair
Reel Rookie

Roku channels not loading/failed to load

Roku channels are in the failed to load content mode just as it happened two - three weeks ago. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know why this is happening? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Ladyfair
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku channels not loading/failed to load

Update:  After a half hour, channels started working properly. 

40 minutes later we are back to square one with nothing loading and the show I was watching just cut off. 

0 Kudos
Ladyfair
Reel Rookie

After 4 hours of continuing Failed to load content, then massive amounts of buffering in-between, it appears to have settled down and stream normally. But I am not having good hopes.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Ladyfair-

With this problem coming and going, does your router have a setting that automatically chooses the WiFi channel to use?  It could be switching you in and out of a channel that the Roku can't use.

In the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus use channels 1-11 as are used in North America.  Channels 12-14, which are used in some other regions, are not supported.

In the 5 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus with dual band WiFi support can receive channels 36-48, and 149-165.  Channels between these two ranges are reserved as Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) channels and are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather.  Many home use routers do not include these DFS channels, but some do.  Only some of the newest Rokus using the latest WiFi processors can receive these DFS channels. 

If your router has an automatic channel selection feature that can choose a channel not supported by your Roku, turn this feature off and try manually selecting a channel in the ranges indicated above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ladyfair
Reel Rookie

While your explanation makes sense, I don't think it applies in my case. I didn't have any problems in the past year since getting Roku Streaming and the WiFi equipment has not changed. This is the same problem that occurred three weeks ago when Roku had what appeared to be a system wide problem and some called it a AWS problem. 

If it was the router changing the WiFi channel, my other wifi devices would have been affected as well and that is not the case. Besides, doing a check internet connection on the Roku device showed a strong connection. 

It is frustrating to try to watch a show and suddenly get a failed to load content message. 

0 Kudos