Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janna11

Roku channel changed audio to Spanish from english.

I purchased a Roku stick just yesterday, January 11th 2023, and I also have had this problem already. Watching American Pickers and it changed from English to Spanish half way through. I can see this problem has been going on for a couple of years already. I am thinking I must take the Roku stick back for a refund and change over to a Fire Stick!

19 REPLIES 19
Sevnev

The audio is Spanish only, even tho all the setting are set to English

All my settings and Audio system settings are in English but the audio is in Spanish on every channel. I even restarted the tv. but it was still in Spanish. 

allysmama

Re: Roku channel changed audio to Spanish from english.

Here we are in 2023 and we are having that issue!  This is getting old!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the title and time that the issue occurs so we can try to replicate the issue you are experiencing and investigate further?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
danieldlp

Same here with Roku Original (Dummy) changed from English to Spanish. How to fix it?

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @danieldlp

To  change the language from Spanish to English, use the steps below to change the preferred captions language:

• Press the Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  • Scroll and select Settings
  • Select Accessibility
  • Select Captions preferred language
  • Choose the language you for closed captions and subtitles

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Moonbaby2

This is happening for me for all roku originals. Trying to watch Dummy, it’s in Spanish and Spanish only option avail in audio settings.

0 Kudos
problem-solver
Reel Rookie

I own a Roku, and tuned it to the Roku channel to watch the Roku Original content "Reno 911! Defunded". I watched about 15 minutes without incident.

I then switched to another room without a Roku, so I opened up a Chrome browser in Windows 11 and logged into the Roku channel and it picked up where I left off. I turned on English Closed Captions at this time I think. Again, hours of streaming without incident, but then it started to pause during the episode. I was having some other weird internet problems on my phone as well, but it was late so I went to bed for the night. 

In the morning, I was having problems getting work done, so I turned off my router for one minute and after turning it back on things improved.

This evening I went back to watch the Roku Channel on my Windows 11 machine, but remembering the pausing issue, I opened it in Microsoft Edge and started watching instead, and watched for about 5 minutes without incident.

Then I noticed the "install Roku as an app" prompt, and chose to install it as an app. It picked up where I had paused it in Edge (with a few minutes left of Reno 911! Defunded Season 1 Episode 8 "Beige Lives Matter?") and it completed that episode in English.

When it forwarded to the next episode, Episode 9 "Woody's Adventure" it started playing in the audio in Spanish but the closed captions were still in English. When I hover over "Language Selection" word ballon, the only audio options are "Espanol" and "Espanol Dol...", I tried them both just to make sure and the audio is Spanish in both.

What's funny, is if I go back to Microsoft Edge, or Google Chrome, its still only gives me the two Espanol options, but if I hit F5 refresh, the page will reload, and it plays the English track for a half second and then switches to Espanol.

I tried to check for an option in my account, but don't see any options like that, (no "Accessibility" while viewing account options in the browser), and so far I'm going to blame the issue on having the "Roku app" installed.

0 Kudos
problem-solver
Reel Rookie

I just checked and Dummy is also only playing for me in Espanol options. (Windows 11 Google Chrome)

I tried a movie at random (Drinking Buddies) and it only shows as available in English.

By the way, Dummy is really good. I remember watching it when it was on Quibi.

I tried uninstall the App for Windows. No change to Reno 911! Defunded still only has Espanol options.

0 Kudos
problem-solver
Reel Rookie

So I got back to my original Roku Premiere, loaded up the Roku Channel, and Reno 911! Defunded Season 1 Episode 9 Woodies Adventures played in English just fine.

0 Kudos