Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WriterGuy53
Reel Rookie

Roku Apps No Longer Streaming on Roku Premiere / 43" TCL Roku TV

I have a Roku Premiere and a Roku TCL 43" TV. On both, I'm experiencing what seems to be issues with apps timing out in attempting to stream content. I'm not getting any error messages. As an example, when I try to play content on the Paramount + app, it will start the process, but after a few moments it will stop and return to the program's main screen. Other streaming apps will fail to load their main pages. Even more frustratingly, thinking I had an issue with my hardware, I purchased a brand-new Roku Express HD, and could not complete the setup process as it was not activating following the step where you put in an email address for Roku to send an activation link. I think it gave an error code of 01 on the Roku Express HD. All of my other devices (phones, tablets, an Xbox One X and a Series X) work fine on my home network and have no issues with streaming content using the streaming apps from those devices. So, either the issue is on Roku's end of things, or with my home network. And nothing has changed on my home network, this is something that just randomly started happening about a week ago.

Are there any settings on my router configuration that are good for Roku? I have tried factory resetting all of my Roku devices several times, tried putting them on different networks, have tried turning off and restarting the router, all without success.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Apps No Longer Streaming on Roku Premiere / 43" TCL Roku TV

@WriterGuy53 

With the Roku Premiere (3920) and the Express HD (3930), may need to change your Wireless Mode under your 2.4ghz band settings to reflect b/g/n due to firmware updates of some cable ISP routers. 

The above devices can only see and use your 2.4ghz band.

----

As for the RokuTV, capable of using both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band.  For the 5ghz band, try setting a manual wireless channel 36-48 or 149-161 rather than using Auto wireless channel selection.  Roku devices can not use DFS channels (52-140) so may be issue if your router is currently using DFS or Auto selection is allowing use of these channels.  Some routers also have a setting to disable use of DFS.  For those routers, you can use Auto if you can disable DFS option.

---

Try the above and post an update.  Include your router model number and ISP if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
WriterGuy53
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, both of these devices are dual-band. As I mentioned, I have tried connecting them to both the 2.4 GHZ network and 5 GHZ network and while I can connect to either, and the Roku network tests run successfully, apps don't work properly. I just tried to launch Disney Plus and received error code 42. I also tried launching Netflix and it too is giving error messages: UI-113 and NW-2-5. But when you do the "check your network" test for Netflix, all tests come back successful. So I don't know what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@WriterGuy53 

Just to verify that you are actually posting the correct devices, navigate to Settings/System/About for both your Roku players (the Premiere and Express HD).

As stated, if you have the 3920 Premiere, and an Express HD, these are not dual-band, but single band 2.4 ghz-only devices.

We have to make sure what devices you have as different bands and different devices may have different issues and resolutions.

Also, are you using the same name (SSID) for both bands of network.  Post router model number, ISP and some details so can get better understanding of setup.

----

As a quick test, try connecting to a mobile hotspot if available to you (preferably on 2.4ghz), and see if you can stream successfully.  If so, then narrowing down to network setting/issue.

0 Kudos
WriterGuy53
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response, I double-checked the Roku Premiere as I was operating from memory and did update the model to what it actually is -- the 4620X. The Roku Express HD is only 2.4 GHZ. My first inclination was to try and connect to a mobile hotspot, but my plan doesn't include one. I am getting new equipment from Spectrum in a few days, so at that point I'll more easily be able to get to the model name of the cable modem and wireless router. I have looked in the router's admin pages for info on the make/model of the router, and couldn't find anything useful.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@WriterGuy53 

May have to wait for your new equipment to be installed to see if issue is resolved.

However, since you mentioned Spectrum, this ISP is known to disable the 2.4ghz capability of connected devices to access the internet.  You can connect to the 2.4ghz for local network activity, but then will fail to access internet.  Usually will have to contact Spectrum and have them Enable your 2.4ghz band and switch the Wireless Mode protocol to b/g/n for the Roku Express to work.  (this is your likely issue with this device and its activation issues).

As for the Premiere 4620 and your RokuTV, you can certainly try adjusting the 5ghz settings to see if any changes make a difference, but would see if your new equipment resolves issue.  You could just have a firmware issue going on with the older equipment that can only be addressed by either reverting back to an older firmware, or verifying that you have the latest firmware.  Again, with Spectrum, may not be able to do this on your own as they exercise a lot of administrative control over their equipment.

Recommended Settings for 5ghz for troubleshooting...

1. Radio On/Enabled

2. SSID Enabled/Broadcasting(name differently from 2.4ghz if available)

3. Use manual Wireless Channel 36-48 (low band), or 149-161(high band) rather than using Auto.  Also, disable any DFS feature (Roku cannot see or use DFS channels 52-140).

4. Verify Wireless Mode/protocol is set to at least N/AC.  If using AX router, verify N/AC/AX is enabled.  For troubleshooting, disable AX and use N/AC.

5. Try lowering the Bandwidth/Channel Width. Start with 20mhz, and then increase to 40mhz or 40/80mhz.  Many devices will have issues with 80 and 160mhz enabled.

6. Try changing the DNS servers to Google public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if internet stabilizes.

---

The error codes you included above are all application/channel specific codes and not "technically" Roku error codes so it is more likely that it is an internet/equipment/firmware issue, rather than device issue.  The error codes 001 and 011 you received on Express is a Roku error code and that is a server/software update error code.  (Basically the device telling you it is unable to connect to the server to activate or get updates.) - Generally because device is unable to connect to internet.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.