Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROB1961
Channel Surfer

RETRO TV channel stopped streaming on all my ROKU's last week. It just shows a static RETRO TV l

My Retro Flix has not worked since December.  I get a purple screen with a channel error and 99-5e4918e7.  Apparently it's temporarily unavailable.  It also states this is because I might have a slow internet connection.  If that is the case, why are my other channels working?

If the channel is no longer available, I did not receive any notification at all about it.  If it's off the air, why does it still appear on my screen?  I know it's a free service but that's besides the point.  Is it off the air, renamed, no longer available, etc?

Thanks - Rob.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: RETRO TV channel stopped streaming on all my ROKU's last week. It just shows a static RETRO TV l

Hello @ROB1961

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the playback issue with the channel. Have you tried following the troubleshooting steps on our support page to see if it help resolve the issue? How to resolve a channel playback issue

If you are still unable to play videos from one channel after attempting the suggestions on the link, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: RETRO TV channel stopped streaming on all my ROKU's last week. It just shows a static RETRO TV l

@ROB1961 

It is not on your end.  I am seeing same behavior and same message.

I believe it may be defunct.  If you click on the Privacy Policy link from within the online Roku Channel Store for this channel/app, it redirects the user to hugedomains which is indicating that myretroflix.com is For Sale (6395.00).

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/113b1ad4c55f604e505bd5937ef08a24/my-retro-flix-movies-and-tv

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ROB1961
Channel Surfer

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I couldn't find how to report this issue to My Retro Flix and when I thought I was going to be able, it brought me to the Roku community page.

0 Kudos
ROB1961
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your reply.  If it is defunct Roku should remove the app instead of assuming it's on my end as you stated it isn't.  I didn't want to remove the channel just in case it returned, but I think I'm going to soon.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ROB1961 

You can always reinstall it later from the Roku Channel Store.  If you like the genre, there are a couple other ones if you just search "Retro" from either your device or the online Roku Channel Store.

https://channelstore.roku.com/search/retro

----

I am not sure of Roku policy regarding channel removal regarding dead or abandoned channels.  I have to assume someone, somewhere, reaches out to the developer eventually.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RKUViewer210166
Binge Watcher

I tried getting info from Roku on this months ago, and they basically said what they do about most channel related issues, "Not our problem, contact the owner of the channel."  They offered ZERO assistance. My Retro Flix has disappeared, yet Roku still lists them in their channel lineup. Why? It hasn't been a functioning channel for probably a year now.

As for MovielandTV comment posted by ceresmary206, they were spot on correct. Yet another defunct channel that disappeared, with zero notice from Roku, or explanation as to why, other than the legalese "things happen" retort. MovielandTV is back, but it's not the same content. It's been gutted and now only has B and C level trash on it, like too many of the other "retro" movie channels that have piled up on Roku. 

Pay-for streaming provider channels have taken control of what was the "cord cutter" community, that originally came into being because of overpriced subscription fees. Now Roku "partners" with these fee driven streaming providers, and probably gets a cut. Amazon carries Starz and other "premium" channels, and the premium channels are all offering "hubs", as a way to increase their revenue. So much for cord cutting. It's a farce.

End result, Roku doesn't offer any retro movie channels with any real decent content/contenuity anymore, imho. 

Incredible that 75 years after Bette Davis made Now Voyager, we're STILL paying for it, making Warner Brothers, and many streaming providers wealthy.

Go back to your CD library. At least you only have to pay for it once. For those of who need to use Roku to get basic streaming access, we're at their mercy.

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss." - The Who

0 Kudos
ROB1961
Channel Surfer

Lately, the Roku device here in Winnipeg, Canada is again showing Movieland (this time without the "TV" at the end of the channel).  Instead of having a purple triangle as its logo, it's a color bar logo.    There isn't a lot of movies as before though, with only 3 or 4 per genre.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.