Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECP01
Binge Watcher

PLEX Instant Replay and Rewind Video freezes

I'm having a similar problem that only occurs with the ROKU Ulta that I just purchased a month ago.  When fast forwarding, to skip a commercial, the video freezes and the audio continues to run normally.  I have two other ROKU 2's that when I skip the video works just fine.  This tells me that is not a PLEX issue.  Problem seems to only occur when a program is in the process of recording and I want to start watch it before it complete.  Doing this same thing on my ROKU 2 - I see no issue.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: PLEX Instant Replay and Rewind Video freezes

Hello @ECP01,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
ECP01
Binge Watcher

Update to my problem.  First, I have re-booted the ROKU Ultra several times with no affect to my problem, but yesterday our electricity was out for about four hours.  Last night I did the say thing - watching a Plex DVR that was in the process of being recorded (the local news) and my skipping through the recording to skip commercials worked! No video freezing.  I'm now a happy camper.  However, my concern is there is an underling problem that is going to resurface down the road.  But for now, it seems that everything is good.

0 Kudos
ECP01
Binge Watcher

Last night I was watching the news again while it was still recording.  Did the same thing, wanted to skip the commercial, and the video froze and the audio continued.  Clicked on a function in Plex and the went back to play and the video started playing in sync with the audio.  Very annoying! This problem seems to only occur when DVR is actively recording.  As mentioned, this does not happen on my TVs with my ROKU 2's, only on my ROKU ULRA 2022 model.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@ECP01

Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried the suggestion posted by @RokuKarla above? If not, we recommend giving it a shot. 

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ECP01
Binge Watcher

I did the recommended delete the channel/reboot/add on my ROKU ULTRA.  But it had no improvement on the problem.  Yesterday evening I happened to be watching another channel (app) that we watch recording on.  It's called BYUtv where we can watch things like old football games or religious  records.  The video continually froze while the audio played as normal.  I rebooted the UTRA (again) and the BYUtv worked.  I also later I watched the news on PLEX channel which I delayed until the DVR was in progress so I could test to see if the video would freeze.  This time, it also did not freeze on me.  As a note: Normally, I watch this BYUtv channel up in my bedroom on a ROKU TCL TV.  I have never had the above issue on that TV.

This is not a solution "to have to keep rebooting the ROKU ULTRA! - Or deleting and reinstalling the apps or channels!"  If this is happening to multiple channels it's definitely a ROKU ULTRA issue that needs to be resolved.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@ECP01

Appreciate the response.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JayAce95
Reel Rookie

I’d like to have my issue examined.

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About😞 3820X (4K), X017000, 11.0.0•build 4193-CU
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button): Yes, only Plex (7.0•build 16) when streaming movies from my tower. Works perfectly fine (same channel version and build) on my Roku 3930X (Express).
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID): 29-398-224
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing: Simply resuming a movie that I had been previously watching, it sits on a still of the current scene, with only audio playing for ~20secs or so before the audio also stops. Seeking backwards or forwards goes to a different still of a different scene, but again with only audio playing for ~20secs. 

Channel has been removed and re-added multiple times, Roku has been restarted and unplugged multiple times, other channels work fine.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @JayAce95

Thanks for the details!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the Plex channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ECP01
Binge Watcher

I did follow the steps suggested.  I also updated the BYUtv channel (that was also freezing) and then did another restart of the Roku ULTRA.  Since then, 10/4/22, I've tried the steps in both channels PLEX and BYUtv to recreate the freeze.  As of right now, all I see in an occasional momentary freeze of about 1 or 2  seconds and then it plays normally (this could be normal).  I will continue to monitor, because a reboot/reinstall at best is a band aid to an underlying problem.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.