Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shamel

NewsHour (PBS) Access: Make it possible to watch TODAY'S show without it taking 10 clicks!

99% of our use of Roku is to watch the nightly PBS NewsHour.  We'd like to be able to just click it ON, but it takes about 10 clicks to get to it on Roku.  Most clicks seem to us to be obvious, and therefore they get to be very annoying.  Examples:  Every day we have to affirm that we don't want to delete it, that we want to watch this year's news (!), and then that we want to watch today's news!  There must be an easier way?!

4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: NewsHour (PBS) Access: Make it possible to watch TODAY'S show without it taking 10 clicks!

@shamel 

You have it added to My List, right? And when you open it there, isn't the most recent episode the first one you get to?

Still, yes, that's around 10 key presses from the Roku Home screen.

Perhaps if you suggested to PBS, who built the app, the improvements you have in mind, who knows? Maybe they'll implement it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: NewsHour (PBS) Access: Make it possible to watch TODAY'S show without it taking 10 clicks!

You seem to be pressing the incorrect buttons on your remote. So if you are on your Roku Home Screen use the remotes purple d-pad button to go right left and down. Once you have positioned the remote over the PBS channel simply press the middle of the purple button which is “ok”. A Roku remote is very simple when you compare to other modes with a whole bunch of buttons and numbers. A Roku remote only has about 8-9 buttons. My TV remote has 30. Which Roku device do you own? You can always purchase a voice remote which will allow you to say things like “launch PBS”. You can also rearrange your channels so PBS is on top. Here is nice guide to help you. But from within the app is another thing

https://support.roku.com/article/208756948

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

With PBS in the number one slot, it's a minimum 8 key presses from Roku Home.

1. OK (or Right) - Moves from the sidebar to the main menu.
  2. OK - Opens the first app, which is PBS. When the app opens, the Spotlight bar is highlighted by default.
  3. Down - Highlights Live TV
  4. Down - Highlights My List entry Explore More Shows
  5. Left - Highlights the single item in My List, PBS News Hour
  6. OK - Opens PBS News Hour
  7. Down - Highlights the most recent episode.
  8. OK - Launches most recent episode

So, there are the minimum number of key presses to launch PBS News Hour. PBS would need to redesign the app. And it could use a redesign.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  Awesome. You laid it out perfectly. I think they are fat fingering the remote and presume the * button. 

0 Kudos