Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koolkat13
Channel Surfer

Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

I don’t hear well. I need closed captions in order to watch tv. They abruptly stopped working within the Max app. Yes, they’re turned on in my Max settings. They’re also turned on in my Roku settings. They work fine in every other streaming channel. 
I contacted Max first. They say, “No worries” over & over, tell me to clear my cache & try a private browsing window which doesn’t even apply to Roku. Max customer service is UseLess. 
I’m posting here for 3 purposes:

1. To see if anyone else has this issue. 
2. To see if anyone has any suggested fixes. (Captions are turned on every place possible. I’ve checked for updates, signed out/in, uninstalled/reinstalled). 
3. To ask why Roku isn’t moderating the dumpster fire that this new Max app is. It has had severe issues since its launch in May. I only watch TV with Roku devices. 
I’ve given you guys so much money. Can you please exert some quality control over the apps/channels supplied on your products?

I’m more mad at Max than Roku but Max doesn’t have this same kind of forum for problem solving & venting. 
Thanks. 

69 REPLIES 69
LindaS-Fortuna
Reel Rookie

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

I have the same problem.  Prior to July 27, it worked just fine.  I have a TCL Roku UHD TV and also an older Sony TV using a Roku 3 box.  On both sets, the settings are turned on and come through fine on YouTube, but nothing on Max.  I couldn't find any help on the Max website.

LindaS-Fortuna
Reel Rookie

I just removed Max from my Roku, then turned off my TV, turned the set back on, and then reinstalled Max.  Closed captions now work.  Hope that works for you too.

dgcollier
Reel Rookie

I came here seeking an answer for the exact same question with circumstances virtually identical to yours. It’s incredibly frustrating but clearly a Max issue. Hopefully they are working on correcting it in spite of your less than optimistic interactions with their support team

dgcollier
Reel Rookie

I tried this without success. 

UncannyAnny
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem.  Uninstalling/reinstalling the app did not work for me.

Meadows77
Reel Rookie

hello i’m having the same issue with Max it is pretty frustrating has anyone found a resolution to why subtitles are not working on Max I also have rebooted and checked everything. Thank you

Stavia
Channel Surfer

Changing the captions to Spanish made them appear, then going back to English worked!

Sophie987
Reel Rookie

Thanks for posting this.  I had tried some of the other suggestions without success, but changing it to Spanish and then back to English worked for me too!

Meadows77
Reel Rookie

Changing the captions to Spanish made them appear, then going back to English worked!

can you tell me please where you are able to choose the language for subtitles? i haven’t been able to find an option on max to change the language.it only gives me english without options. appreciate your help thanks so much!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.