Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbwksf
Streaming Star

MAX/HBO app impements audio description poorly

(Some more tilting at windmills...)

Here is an email I just sent to MAX/HBO accessibility support regarding how audio description works on the Roku app.  Compared to other apps on the Roku (Netflix, Prime Video, PBS, etc) it works very poorly.  I hope Roku would work with the channel they provide to improve this behavior.

----------

I know how to turn on audio description and can do that either using the Max app itself on my Roku or using the "star" button to get to where I can set it under "Accessibility and Languages" on the Roku.. All good.

BUT, once AD is enabled the first time, I would like having the app always play audio description when an AD track is present in the move or series.. This is how Netflix, Prime video, PBS, etc work. That means if I go to the next episode in a series, AD will be there. Or, if I start a different movie/series that has AD it will be there. Right now, I have to re-enable AD for each episode of a series or each new show I watch that has it.

Many people who are blind/low vision benefit greatly from AD but have a difficult time getting it set up initially. Often they have to have a sighted person do that. I hope Max will consider making the option to use AD "sticky" (much like other settings in the app). This will be a great help to many.

I hope this is clear.

Bob Warren

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.