Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sudz28
Reel Rookie

Keep channel playing even after TV is turned off?

I'm trying to cut the cord by replacing my cable box with a Roku Premiere and streaming YouTube TV.  With my cable box, I just turn the TV off when I'm done watching it and turn it back on when I want to watch something, and it's already playing whatever channel I left my cable box on.  I've noticed that if I'm streaming YouTube TV through my Roku and turn off the television, when I turn it back on later the Roku has defaulted back to the Home screen, and I need to scroll over to and re-launch YouTube TV.

Is there any way to keep the YouTube TV app continually streaming in the background even after I've turned off my television?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Keep channel playing even after TV is turned off?

If you haven't already, you can turn off Roku's bandwidth saver, under settings -> network.  (It stops streaming after 4 hours of activity.)  However, many individual channels also have their own timer/saver code to prevent them from being left running all the time like that.  Unlike broadcast, each individual stream costs them money.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Keep channel playing even after TV is turned off?

@Sudz28-

Three things I can think of on the Roku that might affect this:

"Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver" -- turn this off

"Settings > Theme (may take a while to load) > Screensaver start time" -- choose "Disable screen saver"

If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power" menu option, go in there and under "Auto power savings" make sure "After 20 minutes of no interaction" is UNchecked.

But I don't know if the version of their app that YouTube TV has supplied to Roku has it's own "shut down with no activity" feature.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X