Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LmTechyTEM
Reel Rookie

How to run Linux/Ubuntu OS on roku.

Jump to solution

I once read somewhere that Roku runs off of Linux OS. The thing is, I want to be able to run a emulator for Linux on my Roku tv without any other device included. Is this Possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: How to run Linux/Ubuntu OS on roku.

Jump to solution

And there is no (easy) way to "flash" the Roku hardware with an alternative Linux distro (not without deep hardware skills anyway), as a guest or host.  

You can set up the Roku to accept a debugger connection from their IDK, but that's it. It is all sandboxed, no jailbreaks possible at this time.

Want Linux on your TV? Screen mirrors your laptop, or get an old chromebit and reflash to one of the smaller Linux distro.

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My understanding is that the Roku operating system is based on Unix, but is highly customized and can only run apps specifically written for it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Not possible.  You might want to look into the IDK if you want to develop your own apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And there is no (easy) way to "flash" the Roku hardware with an alternative Linux distro (not without deep hardware skills anyway), as a guest or host.  

You can set up the Roku to accept a debugger connection from their IDK, but that's it. It is all sandboxed, no jailbreaks possible at this time.

Want Linux on your TV? Screen mirrors your laptop, or get an old chromebit and reflash to one of the smaller Linux distro.

Not a Roku employee

Jump to solution

Home x3 up x2 left right left right left to enter dev mode

0 Kudos