Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: You can now add Peacock to Roku

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@JPmidland wrote:

Roku, you must point out to Roku owners that Peacock is only available on the more recent models. So when you say "available now", add "on selected models".

Except that Roku isn't the channel/app provider - NBCUniversal is, and its their app design/code that has the model-level limitation (NBCUniversal chose to limit what devices their app could/would run on), not Roku.

This is an issue to direct to NBCUniversal, not Roku:

https://www.peacocktv.com/help/get-in-touch

Plus, I don't know for sure, but I suspect the channels themselves determine what is said on their page in the Channel Store.  They could indicate the models supported, or at least provide a link to an easily updatable page that provides this information.  Likewise it would be handy to mention any geographical restrictions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JPmidland
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Why would Peacock want to limit the devices they can be streamed on? If it works for Netflix and Hulu, shouldn't it work for Peacock?  This makes no sense.  I posted the question on the NBCU website, but I don't expect they will answer.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JPmidland wrote:

Why would Peacock want to limit the devices they can be streamed on? If it works for Netflix and Hulu, shouldn't it work for Peacock?  This makes no sense.  I posted the question on the NBCU website, but I don't expect they will answer.

Said without any irony whatsoever after a several months post-launch standoff between NBCUniversal and Roku/Amazon that prevented Peacock's presence from 70% of the streamer market, eh?

Clearly, limiting their market presence isn't an issue for them....

P.S. - in case you missed it (again), NetFlix and Hulu limit and restrict the devices their current app runs on, and routinely deprecate older app version support (like on older Roku models):

https://gizmodo.com/hulu-is-the-latest-streaming-company-to-end-support-for-1843908910

https://www.engadget.com/2019-10-12-netflix-ends-support-for-older-roku-players.html

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JPmidland wrote:

WANTING to limit their compatibility is not the issue.  Just like computers, different generations of streaming equipment (and different generations of operating system software they can run) all have different capabilities and requirements.  The more of these variable combinations you must support, the more complex and difficult to maintain your software becomes.

Netflix and Hulu that you cited already had apps running on what are now old Roku hardware/software combinations.  As new models with new features came out they tweaked their apps to take advantage of the changes while maintaining compatibility with older systems.  But eventually the challenge of supporting out-of-date systems, which by then were only a small portion of the units in use, became too great and they had to bite the bullet and drop support for some customers with outdated hardware..

Peacock made a conscious decision on how much of the support for older systems they wanted to burden themselves with.  Being new, they don't have existing customers who would be cut off by their decision, so they decided on supporting hardware going back the last several years only and going forward from there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Andie16e
Reel Rookie

Re: No Peacock?

Jump to solution

Well, phooey....that explains why I don't have it. That sucks for me😣. Thanks for the information. 

0 Kudos
trishs43

Jump to solution

I've been trying to figure out why I can't see Peacock for weeks. Turns out my Roku stick is "not compatible" aka too old. Very disappointing.

Barby64

Jump to solution

I subscribed to Peacock a while ago and checked and I am still subscribed , then added the channel on the roku page and it says it is installed but I am not finding it on ROKU even thru a search ???

0 Kudos

Re: Can't find Peacock on Roku Express+

Jump to solution

I have this same problem.  I have a roku express (not a plus) about 3 years old.

The channel app icon will not find in a search on the device.  And it will not show in the new

or featured lists.  NASCAR is publicizing it is available on roku, so it is time for a technician to

find out why it will not display.  I also have added it via the web page, states install, but not

on the roku express.  No button to remove it on web page.  I have about 200 chennels added to

the roku and I can still add channels.  I can access on a smart phone, using the same network,

the peacocktv app and it works fine, login, play, etc.  This in texas over att.  I have been trying

to get access since early August.  How about some help from ROKU???

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You can't find because Roku doesnt ive a **bleep** about us.  It is only available on the model 4210X of Roku2 and on nothing earlier.  Nobody will talk about it or explain it or give any help at all.  We are Roku's earliest and most loyal customers and you can see how little they value us.  Do you see a roku rep talking to us about it?  Yeah.  Don't hold your breath.

0 Kudos
JGFBKNY
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So, from what I’ve read, it doesn’t work on the older Rokus. Someone posted the specific models that it works on and mine was not listed. You may want to search through the posts to find it to see if yours is listed or not. 

0 Kudos