Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie_b
Reel Rookie

How do I turn off autoplay on Roku's channel app?

Jump to solution

I am using a Roku device connected to my tv. I cannot find a way to turn off autoplaying the next episode in Roku's app. 

I can disable autoplay in the Amazon, Netflix, Hulu apps on Roku but see no way to do it in the Roku app.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How do I turn off autoplay on Roku's channel app?

Jump to solution

Hi @julie_b,

Welcome, and thank you for posting.

We understand that you wanted to disable the autoplay on the Roku Channel. We're happy to help.

Users can disable these in-app autoplay experiences by toggling Settings > Accessibility > Auto-play video to "Off" on their Roku device. If autoplay is disabled on a device, channels may not begin video playback until the user navigates to a video or explicitly starts playback.

Further you can refer to this article here for more help.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have other inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @julie_b,

Welcome, and thank you for posting.

We understand that you wanted to disable the autoplay on the Roku Channel. We're happy to help.

Users can disable these in-app autoplay experiences by toggling Settings > Accessibility > Auto-play video to "Off" on their Roku device. If autoplay is disabled on a device, channels may not begin video playback until the user navigates to a video or explicitly starts playback.

Further you can refer to this article here for more help.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have other inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
julie_b
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This didn't work. It still automatically plays the next episode. I need to know if this will be fixed. If not I will need to cancel Britbox and Acorn through the Roku channel. 

0 Kudos
MWag1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried that also and it doesn’t work for the Roku channel. I’m using a new roku ultra device. It’s really annoying! Every other channel or app allows you to turn off autoplay! 

julie_b
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying.  I even tried restarting Roku, making sure the app/channel was the latest build and double checking the settings.

It is bizarre that on Roku devices the Roku channel doesn't have this functionality. I think I will stick with subscribing to Britbox through Prime. 

0 Kudos
MWag1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes I’ve been trying to figure out how to turn it off for ages. I guess it has to do with them getting more ad views on the free content but super annoying when you pay for a channel. If it wasn’t for the promotional price I also would be watching BritBox through Prime lol. Their interface is so much better 

AuntieJo

Jump to solution

Same! I took the BritBox and Acorn deals, and I am befuddled that the Roku app itself is so bad. I’ve been watching it at night after getting off work, and this morning I’m once again trying to figuring out what I slept through. Funny but not funny. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.