Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Max playback impacting Roku devices

@Jojoearich

Thanks for the post.

In order to ensure a clean channel install, please make sure to remove the channel, restart the Roku device, then add the channel back again, specifically in that order.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jojoearich
Reel Rookie

I have done that sometimes multiples times in a row. We also removed it completely restarted it and waited a day to reinstall after another restart. I have literally followed all trouble shooting at least 30 to 40 times in the last several weeks and it still isn't working for the device. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @Jojoearich

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the HBO Max channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting HBO Max support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,

Lianna

0 Kudos
Jojoearich
Reel Rookie

I already did reach out to them and was told no issues have been reported to them and that it was a Roku issue. It's frustrating to not get any results regardless of doing every trouble shooting method both recommended by Roku but also one HBO Max suggests and nothing is resolving the issue. I truly think it's a compatibility issue and that both companies should be aware so that customers are not paying for channels that don't fully function. I will suggest my client get a different television or device to play it on and see if that resolves the issues. Thanks! Both companies are very quick to tell me it's the other's issue and to contact the other company. It's making me want to move to other streaming services and devices that stream. 

0 Kudos
ElkoNV
Channel Surfer

After weeks of frustration, I bought a Chromecast and had no more problems. 

rickm1010
Reel Rookie

HBO Max worked for a few months and then suddenly stopped!  Purchasing a different unit is not top on my list.  Is this an actual Roku issue or HBO?  Are the various tech teams working to solve the issue?  I have already done the uninstall/install dance and still get the same result - not working.  Currently at the 11.0.0 build 4193-46 and no success.  HBO Max version 52.35 build 30.  Thanks for your assistance...

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @rickm1010

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on the HBO Max channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Do you encounter any error messages?

If removing the HBO Max channel and adding it back to the device does not resolve the channel issue, Make sure to restart the Roku device after performing all the steps. Restart your device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
CONEJO77
Binge Watcher

Is it still having Playback issues? I have installed and R/R it several times and each time it will not load once you click on the icon. When it launches I get the logo then 3 dots across the bottom, then a black screen.

It also never charges my cc when I download it.

0 Kudos
CONEJO77
Binge Watcher

Only with HBO. I did exactly as you suggested with the R/R and restart but still will not load

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @CONEJO77

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the HBO Max channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting HBO Max Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos