Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glhibbs5805
Reel Rookie

HBO Max annual Time Warner subscription won't play on Roku, HELP

Jump to solution

I originally signed up for HBO Max thru Roku Pay. That subscription expired serveral days ago. I then signed up for HBO Max thru the HBO Max app, billed directly through Time Warner, not Roku. When I tried using HBO Max tonight on my TV, ROKU tells me I have to resubscribe. HBO works just fine on my IPAD app for HBO Max. I already tried removing/adding back the HBO Max channel on ROKU and restarting the system. No joy.  Feels like I just threw the HBO annual "deal" money into a black hole.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max annual Time Warner subscription won't play on Roku, HELP

Jump to solution

Hmm... well at least it seems to work mostly how I expected.  I didn't expect three options.  You might want to try the remove/restart/add procedure one more time and only choose the "SIGN IN" option using the email that works on your iPad.  If it still doesn't work, then I'd go to HBO Max support and ask them about it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Jump to solution

Just checking, you said, "I already tried removing/adding back the HBO Max channel on ROKU and restarting the system".  If you did it in exactly that order then you didn't accomplish anything.  You must restart after removing the channel and before adding it again to clear out any old saved information.  It should then give you a chance to either subscribe or log in with your credentials you used on the iPad, but it seems like that channel has more than its fair share of strange account issues.

0 Kudos
glhibbs5805
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi and thanks, but no joy. Once I removed + System Restart, and added back HBO Max, it opened and gave the options of SIGN UP, SIGN IN, RESTORE PURCHASE. I hit restore purchase, the screen says "ROKU PAY cannot verify your subscription." I went to SIGN IN, and was prompted to sign in "with ROKU email." Instead I chose " Use another email" and entered my HBO MAX email and password. Next screen tells me no such subscription. Again, no problem at all using Ipad Hbo Max with same credentials re email and password.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Hmm... well at least it seems to work mostly how I expected.  I didn't expect three options.  You might want to try the remove/restart/add procedure one more time and only choose the "SIGN IN" option using the email that works on your iPad.  If it still doesn't work, then I'd go to HBO Max support and ask them about it.

glhibbs5805
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much!!! First I was redirected to pick my provider (Verizon) and sign in, eventually got a code to enter on TV screen and VOILA! But Yikes, at the price HBO and ROKU should not create such an ordeal.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.