Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

Express 4K+ -- Set default channel when TV turns on (instead of Home Screen)?

I have an Express 4K+. When I power on my TV, I'm at the Roku Home Screen. Is there any way to set up so I'm immediately at a particular YouTube TV live station? (Or, for that matter, any station at all?)

It's a matter of laziness. Samsung TV is plugged into an Amazon smart plug and is always "on." TV turns on/off by powering on/off the smart plug via Alexa. Morning comes, and I tell Alexa to "turn on TV." As I said, this brings up on the screen the Roku home screen. In order to get to our customary morning new show, I have to grab the remote and navigate to YouTube TV|Live and find the station.

I'd love to just tell Alexa to turn on TV and have Roku automatically be at the desired station.

Is this possible?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Express 4K+ -- Set default channel when TV turns on (instead of Home Screen)?

Hi @KenSRQ,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry about using Alexa on your Roku Express 4K+. Please be advised that the Roku skill for Alexa is supported on all Roku TV models and current-generation Roku players only, including the Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, and Roku Smart Soundbar. You can check out this link here for more details on using Amazon Alexa to control compatible Roku streaming devices. Meanwhile, voice search and voice control, which you can use to control your streaming device through voice command, are supported on all Roku devices shipped since 2017, along with several older devices. A quick way to confirm if you are already using a Roku voice remote with your Roku streaming device is to look on your remote for a voice button with either a microphone icon (on newer remotes) or a magnifying glass icon. If you see a voice button, you can press and hold it to use push-to-talk voice commands with your Roku device. For detailed instructions, learn how you can use push-to-talk voice to search and control your Roku device.

If you have more inquiries, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

Re: Express 4K+ -- Set default channel when TV turns on (instead of Home Screen)?

@RokuEuniceL , thanks for the response. While your reference to Alexa-supported Roku devices is unclear (as it does not specifically mention an Express 4K+, I do see on Roku's Express 4k+ product page that it states "Works with Alexa".

That said, I cannot get the Roku skill on Alexa to discover/recognize any of my three Express 4k+ devices. Numerous times, I have enabled the skill on Alexa, signed into my Roku account, linked to my Amazon account, and continued to allow discovery of my Roku devices. The Alexa app shows a screen telling me: "Alexa is looking for devices to connetect..." and after a while it reports "No new devices found." 

I check to make sure the Roku was not previously found, but it does not appear in the device list in the Alexa app. I have ensured that the Rokus are connected to the same network as the Alexa devices. The software on all devices is up to date. I have gone through this process many times, with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to get my Rokus recognized by the Roku skill on Alexa?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KenSRQ
Binge Watcher

@RokuEuniceL Please give me your thoughts on this Alexa discovery issue. I've done all of the suggested steps. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KenSRQ,

Thanks for keeping us posted! 

The Roku skill for Alexa is supported on all Roku TV models and all current-generation Roku players. Before you can use the Roku skill for Alexa, make sure your Roku device is running Roku OS 9.1 or higher.

In addition to a compatible Roku player or Roku TV with the correct software, you will need the following:

• A free Roku account.
  • An Alexa-enabled device such as an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, or third-party device with Amazon Alexa.
  • Alexa mobile app downloaded to your iOS® or Android™ device.

To use the Roku skill for Alexa, you need to link your Roku account to your Amazon account using the following steps:

1. Open the Alexa mobile app
  2. Tap or select the Menu icon Alexa app menu icon in the corner
  3. Tap Settings
  4. Scroll to TV & Video and select Roku from the list
  5. Tap the Enable button
  6. When prompted, sign in to your Roku account. Learn what to do if you forgot your email address or password.
  7. Select Accept and Continue, and follow the prompts to return to the Alexa app.
  8. Choose the Alexa devices you wish to use with your Roku devices
  9. Select LINK DEVICES

In addition, you can refer to this support article for more information on setting up your Alexa in your Roku streaming device at this link: How do I use Amazon Alexa to control my Roku® streaming device?

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cvertu
Channel Surfer

Neither can I set my Express 4K to bypass the Home Screen and switch to the default channel upon startup. Since I don't intend to use Alexa, what would be the solution?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@cvertu, there really isn't a solution.  You could get a Voice Remote Pro that has two programmable buttons and use one to go right to your app of choice, but when you connect the power it's always going to go to the Home Screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
cvertu
Channel Surfer

@rejonim thank you for the explanation. But surely the Roku developers can enable this with a software update - provided the intent is there.

0 Kudos