Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PuzzledCyrus
Reel Rookie

Empty list of channel icons in STREAMING CHANNELS in Guest mode

I have SW 11.0.0, build 4193

When in Guest mode, selecting Streaming Channels/ Channel Store shows the category list, but no icons appear in the right hand panel. I can however Search Channels by name and install from list presented. When I’m not in Guest mode the icons appear properly in the Channel store!

I have reset Roku multiple times - same behavior. 
Icons for programs or channels show up fine in other top level menu options, like Featured Free, Live TV, What to Watch. 

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Empty list of channel icons in STREAMING CHANNELS in Guest mode

@PuzzledCyrus 

This has happened before, and it's often (but not always) been resolved by restarting the network devices.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

I am currently experiencing this issue on my Roku devices where there are no icons in the Home menu even though when you go to streaming channels, it clearly shows that all the apps are installed.  No amount of resetting the devices has helped me make the icons show up in the home menu.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@snowblind40, are you saying you have more than one Roku device doing this?  Have you tried restarting all of your network equipment - gateway/modem/router?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jaddeo
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same issue on my Roku Soundbar, hardwire ethernet, plugged into surge protector all devices on the powerstrip are working.  Guest mode loads with standard channels,  I open up an app, then go home button and no channels are appear only add a channel or TV off. 

I've reset the device back to factory and, ran update v 11.0.0, b4193

We use this for our rentals and had guests complaining that this is annoying. 

0 Kudos
PuzzledCyrus
Reel Rookie

Update: As of this date the issue of missing icons has magically resolved itself. My software still shows I’m on version 11.0.0 Build 4193. I cannot point the reason for the fix but the network and the devices have been restarted many times during this time period. 

0 Kudos
jaddeo
Channel Surfer

Same on my end.  Guest mode now has all the channels showing up on the home screen. 

0 Kudos
Kroyster
Channel Surfer

I'm having almost exactly the same problem and a factory reset did not resolve it.  When I enter Guest Mode and select my check out date, I briefly see a full page of pre-installed channels. But within a few seconds of inactivity, the screen refreshes and suddenly there are only 4 channels on the Home page: ROKU Channel, Netflix, Prime Video, and Hulu.  I can search for and install another channel. And I can "Go to Channel" immediately after installing it.  But when I return to the Home screen, the newly installed channel isn't shown.  If I search for it again, I can select it and launch it from the search (I don't have to install it again - it's already installed), but the app never shows up on the home screen.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Kroyster

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue.

Can you please provide us with screenshots of what you are seeing on screen so we can better understand the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kroyster
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R

Thanks for checking in to help. Here's a video of the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VCGRv0TRE3p9wjhsSu5sFD72L7IJV3Ss/view?usp=sharing

I've enabled guest mode for the device, and then launch into it as if I were a guest. It doesn't matter if I enable guest mode from the device or from the web browser logged into my host account.

1. At about 7 seconds, the normal Guest Mode Home screen loads with all of the typical default guest apps that Roku installs by default for the guest user.
  2. At about 11 seconds, all of the apps spontaneously disappear. No action on my part was taken to trigger this.
  3. At about 16 seconds, 4 of the default install app icons reappear, but the rest are missing / hidden / invisible

If I search for and install another app, it will install and I can launch it from the search, but the icon is not added to the Home screen. It is hidden like all the others that disappeared in the video.

0 Kudos