Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Do Roku players have any VPN channels

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there is any channel ms for VPN’s. I recently got Surfshark and Apple TV has a Surfshark app that I’m using and it’s pretty sweet. Does Roku have anything like that. Or has anyone heard if there’s a chance that Surfshark may come to Roku?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do Roku players have any VPN channels

Jump to solution

@Dfresh567 

The easiest way to make a VPN available to all your devices on a network is to install the VPN at the router level.

Surfshark has instructions how to do this on their site and you can check if your router is compatible (or buy a cheap router that is compatible and put it in front of your desired network router).

However, the use of VPNs with your Roku may be problematic for some of the channels/apps. The Roku Channel does not like VPN and is able to detect most of them (only a couple work and Surfshark is not one of them currently, although it used to.)

Generally, if you just want the VPN to secure your network, you can exclude the Roku devices from the VPN connection just to make your life easier.

For those that use the VPN to attempt to watch geo-locked content, it will be a case by case situation. (And using VPN for this purpose cannot be discussed in the Roku forums).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Dfresh567 

The easiest way to make a VPN available to all your devices on a network is to install the VPN at the router level.

Surfshark has instructions how to do this on their site and you can check if your router is compatible (or buy a cheap router that is compatible and put it in front of your desired network router).

However, the use of VPNs with your Roku may be problematic for some of the channels/apps. The Roku Channel does not like VPN and is able to detect most of them (only a couple work and Surfshark is not one of them currently, although it used to.)

Generally, if you just want the VPN to secure your network, you can exclude the Roku devices from the VPN connection just to make your life easier.

For those that use the VPN to attempt to watch geo-locked content, it will be a case by case situation. (And using VPN for this purpose cannot be discussed in the Roku forums).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

that right there is I am expert responce if I’ve ever read one. Thank you for taking the time to explain everything. It was clear, thorough and concise. I really really appreciate you taking the time to write it. 

that’s the difference between a guru and an expert. I wish you all the best and go team Roku!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.