Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ske
Channel Surfer

Re: Crashing and going back to Roku screen

Jump to solution

I just walked in the door with a brand new Roku Streambar.  Immediately I have the issue where loading/launching a channel app (Hulu, NF, NBC News, anything) has the channel app crashing within 5 seconds (exception caught and hidden) and then the UI is back at the home screen.  As a software developer, I can only say that this is a huge bug, and right at the worst possible time (3 days before US Thanksgiving).  I'll be kind and not bill for the 3rd-level support I have just provided.  You can skip questioning other and assume my case is pure fact.

FYI, I tried another remote just in case the included home button was defective.  No difference.  The included remote works fine on another StreamStick+.  The 

Model: 9102X

S/N prefix: 2A108F26*

I'll leave powered off for a while and see if there is a change.  I will wait a week to see if a new update fixes this, but after that, it goes back and I'll use a $70 cheaper StreamStick+.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
ske
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For me, all, simple or more complex channels.

0 Kudos
ske
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model: 9102R - Roku Streambar
Serial prefix: YLOOFG26**** (2A108F26****)
Software Ver: 9.4.0 - build 4190-95
Timestamp 2020-11-23T23:53:28Z
Issue ID: 25-472-313

0 Kudos
ske
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The referenced article deals specifically with Nintendo, which is not what most users are having an issue with.  This is a bad software build and should be addressed immediately or else the support required will grow more and more each day.  My purchase of this sound bar was made in C FL on 11/23/2020.  Mine will be returned within days to BB.

Software: 9.4.0   Build: 4190

Best wishes

ske
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

New out of box

All Channels

Software: 9.4.0   Build: 4190  (a really bad build, zero post firmware-upload testing was performed)

0 Kudos
ske
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have now done some further testing in case it helps Roku or others.  It appears that my older 1080p HD LG TVs have an issue with this one StreamBar but newer 2160p 4K TVs do not exhibit the issue.  Another Roku StreamingStick+ did work fine on the older LG HD TV.   

Older TVs Svc Code: LG 32LN5300-UB.BUSYLWM (mfg Aug 2013).

This seems to be more of a hardware issue (or perhaps software, just behaving differently on different hardware).  I can work around this for now by not being able to use a StreamBar on the old TV (a shame, but not a big deal).

Another note, neither Roku remote (same) could control the on/off power function of the older TVs.  This older LG HD TV also does not support HDMI ARC, so the optical cable was used (the sound worked, but no channel lived longer than 5 seconds).

Good luck

0 Kudos
Shantih
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem with my Streambar. In my case I found that turning off “1-touch play” under the System - Control Other Devices menu fixed this issue for me.

BillV4848
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a Streambar I purchased online. I returned it and bought a Smart Bar at BB and still had the same problem. I saw the post from the person who bought one 3 days before Thanksgiving and tried what the other person said about turning off the 1-touch play and that worked. There is a small thump sound on power-up but that is ok. Thanks everyone! 

0 Kudos
Lacawana
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have given up on Roku.  I don't think that the newer Roku software works with older TVs. Mine is a 2008 Sony Bravo 1080p TV.  The reason I am using a streaming stick is because my TV is not a smart TV and I want to avoid purchasing a newer TV just to make it smart.  I have been reading that some of you have purchased newer Roku sticks and have the same issues. It's just not worth the aggravation. It really shouldn't be that hard.

I purchased an Amazon Firestick with Alexa built in and so far (3 weeks almost), everything is going so smoothly and actually quite fast. So far, the Firestick is the solution for me.  Roku has worked on this TV for over 10 years now, but I am bidding it farewell as it's just not working for me anymore.

Good luck to everyone else......

0 Kudos
Quezzare

Jump to solution

Hi everyone I had this problem also on my mothers TV and I ended up swapping her out for the one in our front room which had my account on it and the roku app was working on it. When I did this I did a factory reset on the one that had my account first to put her account on it then once hers was done I did a factory reset on the one where the roku app had stopped working and also put her acount on that one and what do you know the roku app is working again. So to everyone having this problem try a new device that has a working app and put another account on it first then reset it to your account then reset your old one it might work.

0 Kudos