Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faxeed

(Coaxial) live TV through Roku TV Stick

Hi all!

I'm thinking about getting a Roku TV stick, potentially the Roku Ultra, and would like to know if anyone has experiences with watching live TV via it.

Sure, the first option that comes to mind would be to stream live TV via an internet channel, but I'm talking about live TV via a coaxial cable (for use less internet bandwidth and potentially have no lag).

Roku themself write that you can subscribe to cable and be able to receive digital and analog TV stations without a cable box, by connecting directly to the Live TV input on the Roku TV system, because Roku TV is equipped with an ATSC tuner that provides access to digital “over-the-air” broadcast television.
However, this seems like Wifi/internet TV.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: (Coaxial) live TV through Roku TV Stick

You're misunderstanding or misusing a bunch of terms.  A "Roku TV" is an actual TV.  A "Roku stick" is a Roku device that plugs into a TV without the need for an HDMI cable.  A "Roku Ultra" is a Roku player that is neither a TV or a stick.  Only Roku TVs have a tuner and therefore a coaxial input.  Roku devices can get "live TV" through streaming providers like YouTube TV, Philo, Sling, and a few other cable-like providers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
andyross
Roku Guru

Can also add there are devices like Tablo or AirTV that are network-connected tuners where you use an app to watch TV (and DVR recordings) on that tuner.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

If you hook a Roku (Stick, Express, Ultra) to some TV, then the TV continues to have its existing features and it can still watch over-the-air TV, Blu-Rays etc.  To do that, just grab the TV remote, and switch away from the Roku input to the antenna or any other input.  I just wanted to mention that because some people think a Roku “takes over” a TV, but it doesn’t. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.