Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Re: Channels continue to crash

Issue ID: 5A-102-473

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Issue ID: 5A-106-553

Edit:  5 crashes in an hour

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Issue ID: 5A-116-660

And after waiting 20 minutes for it to reboot its own, got the code to share, started another video and it crashed after about 3 minutes.  In other words, I'm waiting longer for the Roku to reboot than actually use it.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Bam-Bam 

Since no issues when using the LG tv, and only have issues when using the attached Roku device, wondering if a CEC issue. Especially with the prolonged reboot time.  (LG CEC = Simplink HDMI-CEC)

You can try disabling the LG Simplink (depending on your LG, under General Settings or Advanced)

Additionally, try disabling Roku's 1-touch Play. (Settings/System/Control Other Devices (CEC)/ Uncheck to Disable 1-touch Play.)

Then do a System Restart of the Roku device. (Settings/System/System Restart).

You may have to further adjust the Display Rate when testing after disabling the CEC features.  Manually set to 720, then 1080, then try 4k.  (Settings..Display Type)

-----

If you find this helps, then you can most likely re-enable your LG's CEC, but leave the 1-touch play disabled.

I am assuming you have the Roku Ultra 4800 HDMI plugged directly into your LG - no HDMI switches/ethernet switches/AVRs or any other "switch" that can be contributing to issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Thank you for the suggestions @AvsGunnar !!!  

• I've turned off the SIMPLINK on the TV (found it under Connections \ Device Connection Settings \ SIMPLINK)
  • I've turned off the CEC on the Roku.
  • Rebooted the Roku.

One thing I immediately noticed is that I can no longer control the volume from either remote (sound using eARC to soundbar).

Watched one video for about five minutes before it crashed.  Will also try the next suggestions and get back later.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Bam-Bam 

Yes.  Disabling CEC feature will disable a lot of features but really just isolating issue currently.

Many times the addition of any type of switching device (AVR, HDMI, other sound equip) will have conflicting CEC signals and affect compatibility with some devices.

The Roku soundbars used to have some problems with LG TVs when 1-touch play was enabled. ( channel crashing).

Some users experience issues when running the Roku through any switched device before the TV.

That is why running the Roku device HDMI directly to TV with all CEC disabled will help eliminate that as a contributing issue.

I am sure it is probably getting pretty annoying by now with every channel crashing - certainly a little unique if none of the usual fixes are working.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar - I appreciate the suggestion - it's much more than anything Roku has done.

Yes, my Roku connects directly to the TV.   Soundbar also connects to the TV via a different HDMI (eARC) port.  I sometimes attach a computer via a 3rd HDMI port.  I've even swapped HDMI ports for the Roku and tried a different HDMI cable  The only thing that has problems is the Roku.  Sometimes it just goes back to the main Roku home screen, but usually, the Roku goes black for 30 seconds to 20 minutes before restarting.  I've been complaining about this for about a year now (just after I purchased it) and was told it was a known issue and pointed to a different thread which we were finally told the issue was fixed.  When I explained that it wasn't fixed, I had to create yet another thread that only gets periodic promises that someone is looking at it, but no suggestions.... So I very much appreciate you actually troubleshooting.

I definitely understand what you're trying to do to isolate the issue - I manage enterprise level technical support in the software industry so I see what you're doing.  (I just don't know the background of the why for each step, but that's okay.)  If only the Roku people would look at the Issue ID information and research it, they might have something for me to try - or determine it's a software or hardware problem that needs to be fixed.  They assumed that because I had similar issues to the others that the "fix" they said was done resolved my issue, but they never confirmed that my issue was actually the same.  They never learned one of the biggest rules of technical support - just because the symptoms are similar/same, doesn't mean it's the same issue.

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar,

Just a quick update:  I have been going through the different display resolutions, and it does help some, but the Roku still has problems. Even at 720p and 1080p, I can start something and sometimes the app crashes, but for the hour or so that I tested each on of them, the Roku itself didn't hard crash/reboot.  When I went to 4K, it was the same, but I did test a little longer.  When I went to 4K HDR, it worked for a little bit (same app crashing) but the Roku itself did hard crash after a couple of hours of use.  Issue ID 5A-130-726.

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Issue ID: 5A-136-897

0 Kudos
Bam-Bam
Roku Guru

Now that the app crashes more than the entire Roku, wanted to give an issue ID for just an app crash:  5A-138-336.

Now if only I can get someone from Roku to investigate.... Smiley Mad