Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TXDave

Can’t get local antenna TV

Jump to solution

I have a brand new TCL Roku TV. I connected it to an external HDTV antenna. After scanning for local/antenna channels, it says it found 24 channels. However, when I return to the Home Screen, I have no way to access those channels. “Live TV” doesn’t show them. I found the “Antenna TV” icon but it gives identical results as “Live TV”, which is only built-in Roku channels. How can I get these local antenna channels?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t get local antenna TV

Jump to solution

@TXDave 

Try hiding the Streaming Channels under Settings/TV Inputs/Manage Channels/Hide Streaming Channels.

Then do a reboot of the RokuTV from Settings/System/Power/System Restart.

After the RokuTV reboots, select/launch the Antenna TV icon from the Home Screen. (Do not use the LiveTV from the left side Menu.)

After AntennaTV launches, use the left arrow button on remote to bring up Guide. (Otherwise just use up and down arrows to channel up or down).

-----

See if the above helps your issue and post back what you are seeing if still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

TXDave

Jump to solution

IT WORKED! Thank you, AvsGunnar! How in the world does Roku expect a person to figure this out, though? In all their documentation,they just assume it works after you scan for channels, and that definitely wasn’t the case for me.

Now I can watch my local news on time, which is a big deal for an old guy like me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@TXDave 

Try hiding the Streaming Channels under Settings/TV Inputs/Manage Channels/Hide Streaming Channels.

Then do a reboot of the RokuTV from Settings/System/Power/System Restart.

After the RokuTV reboots, select/launch the Antenna TV icon from the Home Screen. (Do not use the LiveTV from the left side Menu.)

After AntennaTV launches, use the left arrow button on remote to bring up Guide. (Otherwise just use up and down arrows to channel up or down).

-----

See if the above helps your issue and post back what you are seeing if still having issues.

TXDave

Jump to solution

IT WORKED! Thank you, AvsGunnar! How in the world does Roku expect a person to figure this out, though? In all their documentation,they just assume it works after you scan for channels, and that definitely wasn’t the case for me.

Now I can watch my local news on time, which is a big deal for an old guy like me!

grumpy_otter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the exact same problem--did the antenna scan, found 15 channels, but no antenna icon appearing. However, the reset solution you provided did not work for me. Any other ideas?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@grumpy_otter 

If you do not see the Antenna icon/tile on your Home Screen for your RokuTV, try going to Settings/TV Inputs.  Look for the default "LiveTV" icon/tile. (it may have been removed from the Home Screen and located under Unused Inputs) Then rename this LiveTV Input to "Antenna" (or whatever you like) under Settings/TV Inputs/Rename.

grumpy_otter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, that worked!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Essentially Roku/ONN need to be sued. Their software hides scanned antenna channels if you change inputs or turn off the TV. The only fix is to disconnect from the Internet or buy a separate tuner for your antenna, then plug it in via HDMI.