Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jp6197
Reel Rookie

Can’t block inappropriate home screen ads

Is there any way to block Home Screen ads that aren’t appropriate for children? I tried filtering ‘Sensitive ad content’ from the privacy menu, and I was unable to select a different ad by highlighting + using ‘*’ to open the Home Screen ad menu. 

The ad was on the Home Screen for hours and persisted power cycling the device. I finally did a factory reset which worked.

5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t block inappropriate home screen ads

@Jp6197 

For the Home Screen ads, highlight the ad and press the asterisk button on your Roku remote.  Select Hide this ad.

Currently, can only filter/hide the ad on the Home Screen from appearing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jp6197
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response. I tried that before resetting the device but nothing happened when I selected the ad and pressed *. Based on other questions, some Home Screen ads can’t be suppressed. 

Jeremyhilton
Binge Watcher

The asterisk button does nothing on the ad for me. This is inexcusable for Roku not to have a setting for this especially when a lot of us have Roku setup on our kids TV's. 

0 Kudos
Jp6197
Reel Rookie

I agree. I finally took the plunge and ordered an AppleTV for our living room. I’ve used Roku exclusively for 10 years, but I guess it’s time to try other products. 

Jeremyhilton
Binge Watcher

I've considered using alternatives including apple TV but was concerned their might be similar issues. Anything not good so far with Apple? 

0 Kudos