Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Seem To Add CNN- On Line Activation Doesn't List Roku

Hi,

I tried to add CNN to my Roku, but activating it via cnn.com/activate fails because Roku isn't listed as a TV provider. I can't even get to it via the live channels & watch the FTA programming. Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Can't Seem To Add CNN- On Line Activation Doesn't List Roku

This has nothing to do with Roku. There is no more CNN+. In order to log into CNN with a TV provider go into the CNN settings. Roku isn’t a TV provider. A Roku it’s just a streaming device. A TV provider means something such as your cable TV or satellite. Do you currently pay for TV?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Scrambled-Legs 

When you try to add some Channels/apps to a Roku device you may see "Cable or Satellite Required".  This is for those that have cable or satellite subscriptions are are viewing this content through their Roku devices (basically the Roku device is replacing the decoder box, but users still playing their cable company for the programming).

This means the Channel/app cannot be installed as a standalone Channel/app but is included "through" some sort of provider.  For those without cable/satellite, that will usually mean subscribing to an available "cable-alternative" services like Hulu, YoutubeTV, Sling, etc. in order to get some of these Channels/apps that cannot be installed directly to your Roku device.
(https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/cable-alternative)

I am not sure which ones carry CNN specifically but you can do some comparisons of channels between them and maybe find a package that works for you if you really need specific channels.  They can be subscribed to monthly and canceled and restarted as you wish. No long term contracts like cable.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

--------------

@Ello2022 

"This has nothing to do with Roku."

This is a Roku user trying to add a Channel to a Roku device and seeking advice from the Roku Community since some confusion exists.  Maybe adding this statement to your footer would save some of us the time from reading this in nearly every posting.  

Please don't feel compelled to explain why you personally feel this is not a Roku issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  They aren’t trying to add a channel. It’s already added. They are trying to lo into CNN and it’s asking for a TV that they do not have. Roku isn’t a TV provider. It’s a device. You don’t need a TV provider to install CNN on your Roku. But you do however need a TV provider to view and use certain features from within the CNN channel 

0 Kudos