Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaQuebec
Reel Rookie

CBC and Ici Télé not available in Québec?

Jump to solution

I live in the Eastern Townships in Quebec. Both CBC and Ici Télé have channels on Roku but I am not allowed to add them. It says they aren't available in my area. I can't get any other tv stations, French or English, except Global. Roku says contact the station. The station says contact Roku. Sigh. Anyone have any information on this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: CBC and Ici Télé not available in Québec?

Jump to solution

Hi @LisaQuebec,

Saw your post!

We understand that you are facing an issue with adding channels on your Roku device and we're sorry if you are having an issue.

After further review, you previously stated that you are located in Canada. The system recognized that your Roku account is set under a different region. If you are using a Roku account that wasn't originated in the region in which you are using your device, you may encounter issues within a channel. 

Here are a few things to try:
What you need to do is to re-create your Roku account. If you plan on using the same email address. You need to deactivate your Roku account and from there you need to re-activate it. Then link the device again to your account just like you did with the initial setup. You may also refer to this link: Comment activer ou lier mon appareil de diffusion en continu Roku®? | Assistance Roku officielle Can...

After ensuring that you are using a Canadian Roku account, can you verify if you are still experiencing the same issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs as we are committed to finding a solution for this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I thought CBC covered all of Canada? (Though I am in the US so I don’t really know much.)  Is there are any chance you are confusing them by using a VPN or you have a Roku account that was created in another country?

When you go here and click on Add channel, then it says that it is not available in your area?  Or does that come when you actually try to run the app/channel? (If that link doesn’t get to you the CBC channel, please scroll down to the bottom right corner which shows what country the Roku website thinks you are in.)

0 Kudos
LisaQuebec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for responding.

The page you posted the link to is the one I was at before. the '+Add Channel' is gray and is not clickable. Bottom right of the screen confirms that I am on the Canada site.

I have written to Radio Canada (Ici Télé) to ask them. They are sending the question to the technicians.

I wrote to the CBC and they told me to ask Roku.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you know the model number of your Roku?  I believe I’ve heard of grayed out Add Channel buttons in cases where the user had a Roku model that was unsupported by that app.  (Usually a quite old model.)

0 Kudos
LisaQuebec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't have the model number on me right now but this Streaming Stick was bought new this week.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @LisaQuebec,

Saw your post!

We understand that you are facing an issue with adding channels on your Roku device and we're sorry if you are having an issue.

After further review, you previously stated that you are located in Canada. The system recognized that your Roku account is set under a different region. If you are using a Roku account that wasn't originated in the region in which you are using your device, you may encounter issues within a channel. 

Here are a few things to try:
What you need to do is to re-create your Roku account. If you plan on using the same email address. You need to deactivate your Roku account and from there you need to re-activate it. Then link the device again to your account just like you did with the initial setup. You may also refer to this link: Comment activer ou lier mon appareil de diffusion en continu Roku®? | Assistance Roku officielle Can...

After ensuring that you are using a Canadian Roku account, can you verify if you are still experiencing the same issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs as we are committed to finding a solution for this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LisaQuebec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ohmygod it worked. Thank you so much, Mary!

I was visiting my mom in the States last year. She got a Roku TV and I was helping her set it up. I guess I created a Roku account with my email account before I switched it to hers. 
I am, and my account is, squarely in Canada now. CBC and Ici Télé are my channels now and the Roku Channel works.

Thanks again!

Lisa

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @LisaQuebec,

We appreciate the update!

We're glad that your issue is resolved. Feel free to contact us for further queries.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku. Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos