Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wwendi
Reel Rookie

Antenna feed through roku device (not a roku tv)

Jump to solution

I cannot get local antenna feed through live TV on Roku device (not a roku TV).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: antenna feed through roku device (not a roku tv)

Jump to solution

@wwendi 

Roku devices do not contain a TV tuner so you cannot get antenna/locals/OTA channels through LiveTV on a Roku device.

After you connect your antenna to your TV, use your TV remote (not Roku remote) and select your Antenna Input. (you will need to use your TV remote to watch your antenna channels).  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

wwendi
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. Just as I suspected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@wwendi 

Roku devices do not contain a TV tuner so you cannot get antenna/locals/OTA channels through LiveTV on a Roku device.

After you connect your antenna to your TV, use your TV remote (not Roku remote) and select your Antenna Input. (you will need to use your TV remote to watch your antenna channels).  

FishTank
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku needs to make a stick device that includes an ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 tuner. Allowing the stick to integrate and control Over-the-Air (OTA) channels similar to a Roku TV makes channel surfing significantly easier for the non-tech savvy users.

Otherwise, Roku should develop an interface with the TV mfgrs to integrate the TV's OTA into the Roku interface (like Roku TVs).

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@FishTank 

As someone who has used a RokuTV, I think it is best if Roku stays away from the OTA/antenna function of the TV.

Not only do Roku OS updates seem to always break the OTA experience, but the user is also unable to manually add stations that the tuner did not detect during the channel scan.  And good luck if you are subject to internet surges/outages which will affect the viewing guide.

I prefer to let the TV do its thing with its own dedicated tuner and let Roku do its thing with internet streaming.

FishTank
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As someone who has used over 10 Roku TVs and installs for many non-tech savvy users, switching inputs is not ideal.

Roku TVs with OTA functionality have NEVER broken on me in over 10 years of use.

Add the feature Roku!

0 Kudos
wwendi
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. Just as I suspected.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.