Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ellenmcalli
Reel Rookie

Amazon & Hulu still crash and send tv back to Home Screen

Jump to solution

I see in 6/22 there was mention of Roku sending programs back to home screen, but this is happening now on both prime video and Hulu. Amazon sent me to Roku support, but I haven’t found any answers. Please help. I’ve ordered a new Roku stick in case mine is faulty, but I’m pretty certain that’s not the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Amazon & Hulu still crash and send tv back to Home Screen

Jump to solution

@Ellenmcalli-

First thing I would check is how your Roku is getting its power.

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku*.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past.  If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

*If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Ellenmcalli-

First thing I would check is how your Roku is getting its power.

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku*.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past.  If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

*If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Ellenmcalli
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you @makaiguy! Your suggestion appears to have worked. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
mhkley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've been having the same problem, very annoying.  Prime is the worse.  So I got a streaming stick to try to provide a fatter pipeline but as soon as I installed it and synched the new remote, suddenly not only was all my off air channels gone from Roku Live, but the TV Input tool that used to be in Settings is also gone,.  That caused me to miss Jeopardy!, a very serious screw up on Roku's part. 

I sat around trying to retrieve my antenna channels and my Favorites and Recents, and finally for a laugh, I tried the Old Remote!  Wow, now I have all my prior programing.  Antenna channels and all.  Far out.  Thanks for Nothing Roku Help.  You are Invisible. 

To everyone trying the Streaming Stick Fix, DO NOT synch your old remote!!!!  Keep it for later, because you are probably going to need it.  Next question is whether the streaming stick actually improves the performance of the system. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@mhkley

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the Roku Streaming Stick plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos