Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TroyH
Channel Surfer

All apps on multiple Roku Ultras simultaneously stop loading on 7/21/2022

Shortest version possible (sorry). 

We have (3) Roku Ultras in our home. (2) connected via Wi-Fi, (1) connected via Ethernet cable directly to the Wi-Fi modem. While eating dinner we are watching E.T. (Extra Terrestrial, not the celebrity news show) via the Roku Channel on our kitchen TV (with Roku Ultra). My mother walks into the living room, turns on that Roku Ultra (#2) and TV in there and tries to boot up Netflix. Kept giving us error code tvq-st-106, with (3) options: Try Again - More Details - Exit. 

Restart DSL modem and Wi-Fi router, all extenders and the Roku. Now, not only the Netflix app won't load or connect, every app (YouTube, YouTubeTV, Tubi, Pluto) will either not load at all, or go to their selection screens but, the films and TV shows would not play (didn't even show play buttons). (Btw, all apps, including Netflix and YouTube, work just fine via PC, Vizio SmartCast apps and via a Sony Blue ray player with smart app features, so the internet connection isn't the issue). I try software updates on both Roku Ultras, then restarts. Both still not working. Try updates and then manual restart, no change. I go upstairs and check my Roku that is connected directly to the router via ethernet. Same issue on Netflix, BUT every other app is working fine. So just to check, I do a software upgrade check and system restart on it, too. Shocker, after the restart, now all (3) Rokus won't play any apps. 

Found ONE post from Sept of 2021 (with zero replies) where a fella had my exact issue, suspected it was caused by a broken auto-update that didn't complete (which is what I suspect as well). He had to do a factory reset on all of his Roku to fix the issue (which is ridiculous...but). So, tried that on just one device. About (4) steps into the setup process, it asks for your Roku account email so it can send a link to activate the device. No matter how many times I press send again, or how many times I edit/change to different email addresses, it just continually says "We can't seem to reach you by email." Checked every inbox in every email I tired, including spam folders, nothing comes through and it will not let me proceed with the setup process. This is insane and sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any suggestions before I brick all (3) of these into the trash and try something different?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: All apps on multiple Roku Ultras simultaneously stop loading on 7/21/2022

The only thing I can suggest is to try connecting to an alternate network like your phone's hotspot to see if you can get through the setup.  That usually helps when it can't complete the initial download, but that doesn't seem like your problem, but it's still worth a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TroyH
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, sincerely.

Just tried that. I live in the country so my cell signal is garbage, but I got it to connect just well enough to send my email the activation link. 

Now the issue is, I activated it, linked the device to my account, but when I go back to the Roku setup screen, it just stays on the screen when it tells you to send you an email, and says "This screen will automatically update when your account is created." Well, it's created and linked but, won't update that screen to move forward with the setup process. I'm at a total loss. no way should you have to jump through this many hoops to setup a streaming device that's been out for years. 

EDIT: Well, finally got the Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone to last long enough to complete the setup process (after the factory reset). Loaded all the channels, etc., then tried Netflix. Still no go, same error, basically says for some reason, the Netflix app can't connect to the Netflix servers, even though my internet connection is working for all devices other than just my Roku(s). 

0 Kudos
Vexter

I have a TCL smart tv and also having issues with connection just started.  No issues on phone or laptop.  Is this Ruku way of saying our appliances are old?  Hmmm

0 Kudos
jockoe
Streaming Star

"Found ONE post from Sept of 2021 (with zero replies) where a fella had my exact issue, suspected it was caused by a broken auto-update that didn't complete (which is what I suspect as well)."

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TroyH

Thanks for the post.

If you need further assistance with that specific error code, you'll need to reach out directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

For more detailed information about that specific error code, you can visit Netflix's support page here.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
TroyH
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response, Danny.

After I finally got the factory reset and update to go through via my phone's wi-fi hotspot, still nothing worked. Was about 6:30 AM at the time, so I went to sleep. I awoke at around 4 PM to find all (3) of my Roku devices and all apps working properly, due to no actions on my end.

So clearly this was not an issue with my hardware or router/ISP, due to every other streaming capable device and PCs could connect to the internet and were all working properly. The only logical conclusion I can come to is Roku was doing some kind of server maintenance (assuming they have servers) or some other error on their end, being none of the apps worked, not just Netflix (some of the others had error codes as well, I just didn't post those). When something like server maintenance on Roku's end occurs that may cause these issues, is there some website they post on to communicate with their customers something is going on? Would have saved me a lot of headache and time if there was. 

Again, thank you for your reply and any information would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos