Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjstech
Streaming Star

3820X streaming stick black screen playback

Jump to solution

Many times when powering on the Samsung tv which then powers up the roku streaming stick, I can’t watch most video content.  Usually I get a black screen and only Audio.  Amazon prime gave me an error about hdmi. I go into displays and change it to automatic (4k), it shows me a sample image and I select yes that looks good.

Then I’ll try to play a video again and the UI works great but as soon as the video goes to play, Samsungs TV UI tells me to check the source.  Is it on? It says…. Then I have to power the tv off for 30 seconds and then back on and the roku resets (dancing roku letters).

When it’s back up I always have to select different options in display setup.

4K Dolby vision HDR TV

4K HDR TV

4K TV

are the ones I want (I don’t want to downgrade to 1080 or 720).

As long as I pick a different one each time thr roku stick works, I get video again.  Automatic seems to discontinue video output when playing video, but any of the 3 specific 4k options work for the remainder of the season until next reboot.  Next reboot the same thing will happen but I’ll have to pick a different 4k option to get video on most apps.

Any idea why that is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3820X streaming stick black screen playback

Jump to solution

I would start by trying the supplied power adapter and not using the TV's USB port.  An insufficient power source can cause all kinds of strange issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I would start by trying the supplied power adapter and not using the TV's USB port.  An insufficient power source can cause all kinds of strange issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Kjstech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I just wanted to say it’s been a few weeks now and since using the Roku power brick usb adapter instead of the TV’s usb port to power the streaming stick, there have been no issues playing back any content.  The content can be in 4k HDR as well.

0 Kudos