Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

What channels offer 'real time' broadcasts for free?

If for example there's a live football game being broadcast on CBS, NBC, or ABC, am I able to watch it live through Roku WITHOUT a cable subscription?

Also, are local station feeds that air FREE through 'Haystack News' generally real time? For example, in Los Angeles, we often have car chases that air LIVE on any/all of the local network affiliates, as well as on KCAL9 and channel 5.

Also, I see that there's free FOX NEWS content, but do you have to have some sort of FOX NEWS subscription to see what might be airing live, such as a presidential address, a disaster that's unfolding live, or even just the first airing of a nightly Tucker Carlson show?

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: What channels offer 'real time' broadcasts for free?

There are several cable tv alternatives:

YouTube TV- $65/month

Hulu with Live TV-$69/month

FuboTV-$69/month

DirecTV Stream-$69-129

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

I don't want to pay for any of those. I have Roku. That's the whole point of Roku.

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

We all have Roku. That’s why we are in this community. The list I gave you are all available for Roku. I myself use YouTube TV. You want to be able to watch live TV on major networks for free but that’s not going to happen. Especially for sports. Just cause you’re using a Roku doesn’t mean that everything is free. A lot of local news stations do have a Roku channel available. Use an antenna if you can in your area 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@WestBeachSide 

You can always try using an antenna connected to your TV to still be able to receive free OTA (over-the-air) channels like abc, nbc,cbs, fox, etc.

If you want completely free live tv of local programming, the antenna option is probably the best route. (Many times even the old rabbit ears will work.)  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

I live in a bit of a canyon, so an antenna doesn't work very well. So what can I expect with Roku (and no cable subscription) if there's a football game that is broadcast on CBS, NBC, FOX, or NBC? Is it available on delay with Roku? 1, 2, 3 hours later?

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

@WestBeachSide  You seem to not be understanding. To watch LIVE sports on ANY major network you need to pay. Networks will not broadcast things for free such as sports. That’s not how it works. If you want to watch live sports you will need to pay for a subscription. There isn’t even anything for free with a 2 to 3 hour delay. Even if you want to watch anything on live TV on major networks you will need to pay. Such as your local news. Sports, etc. Did somebody tell you that if you bought a Roku you can watch everything for free?  Fox News is free but you will need a tv provider for certain content. Exactly what are you trying to watch that you would like to watch for free?

0 Kudos
WestBeachSide
Binge Watcher

For some reason, I was under the impression that local CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX affiliate channels might be free with a Roku device.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@WestBeachSide 

The problem is that the local channel affiliates charge a "retransmission fee" whenever someone broadcasts their channel/content.  The only way to avoid the retransmission fee is through the use an antenna.  Reports online are that retransmission fees are in the billions, so these affiliates have no interest in allowing streaming services to provide for free. (https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/chart/sotnm-local-tv-u-s-local-tv-station-retransmission-fee-...)

There was a streaming service called Locast that was around for a bit that was providing everyone streaming access to their local stations for free but was sued by the affiliates and shut down.  Whether or not this service was truly altruistic in their model to provide access to those that could not receive locals via antenna, who knows.  It was a great service though.

It is unfortunate that an antenna apparently won't work for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Your local news may have a Roku channel. Mine does. But major networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox need money to broadcast major sporting events. Even weekly shows such as American Idol, CSI, Chicago Med and others aren’t free. The live tv streaming services I mentioned are a monthly subscription. Cancel anytime. They are still cheaper then cable 

https://billfixers.com/blog/what-is-a-regional-sports-fee

0 Kudos