Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Prime Video - No Forced Subtitles

Jump to solution

@Rogan wrote:
I take that back. Now they’re permanently on. Is there a fix for Prime Video in Canada? I had similar issues with Patriot. NONE of the French had any subtitles for the entire series.

I was also seeing the German subtitles, but only during foreign (non-English) dialog.  I used the playback bar to turn off closed captioning (down arrow while episode is playing, right arrow to highlight "CC",  click OK to turn closed captioning off, press back arrow to return to program).  That got rid of the German subtitles and restored the forced English subtitles. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, closed captioning is turned off in my Roku settings.

Because this seems to be only happening in Canada, I suspect that it has something to do with the way that Prime and/or Roku handle localization (confused by two official languages, maybe?).  I'm more inclined to blame Prime (other apps don't have the problem on Roku), but the two vendors need to put their technical teams together to debug.  Unfortunately,  Roku points the finger at their app publishers and Prime denies there is any issue.

Level 8

Re: Forced Subtitles on Amazon Prime in Canada

Jump to solution
Roku is the only device this wont work on, I understand that Amazon make the software for there service on Roku, but it wont get solved unless you guys at Roku contact Amazon and have it rectified. The fix for us is to put the Roku device in the bin and buy a google chromecast.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have an Apple TV 4th Generation and this is happening to me as well. The Man in the High Castle, The Widow, Hanna, Jack Ryan and I suspect anything that has non English dialog. I can make it work on my iPad but even that is buggy. I have Netflix and Crave as well and don't have these issues with those services

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Amazon Prime Subtitles do not work on HD Express

Jump to solution

I have just replaced my ROKU 2 with a ROKU HD Express HD 2019.  Prior to installing the new device I was getting subtitles when available on Netflix and Amazon as well as other channels.  The Amazon performance overall (download pauses and sub-titles lagging/incomplete) wasn't great but I did have the subtitles.

The new device gives me subtitles on Netflix but nothing on Amazon Prime.  I have chased various instructions on setup, checking my TV setup, my ROKU setup and my Amazon setup.  I believe they are all "correct" per the instructions.  One set of instructions (from Amazon) refers to the CC icon in the lower right corner of the screen ( During playback of a title which supports subtitles or captions,
select the CC icon from the playback menu.)  I can see the icon but there doesn't appear to be any way to navigate to it in or to "Select" it.  So, no subtitles and no support from Roku on this device.

Anybody else seen this problem?  Solved it?

Thanks,

Tom

[post merged with already existing thread]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime Subtitles do not work on HD Express

Jump to solution

hello,

same problem here in France, I just bought a Roku express, linked with Amazon Prime.

When I signed in the first time and first video, the subtitles were in some Dutch ? language. The subtitles settings were turned off. I turned them on English CC and French alternatively, and no subtitles shown on screen whatever the language.

I don't have any subtitles problems at all when watching the Prime video on my laptop or tablet. This is a Roku only problem.

Hope it helps...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I agree it a Roku issue our cable company just got Amazon Prime and we are now able to watch those shows with no issues at all. Really wish I hadn’t spent money on an item that I can watch “sometimes”.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

A lot of users with different devices and locales are complaining about subtitle problems in this (and other) Amazon Forum threads. There's even a post from a FireTV user. Seems that the Prime App is the culprit.  I suggest that everyone who is having problems post on the Amazon Forum and/or contact Amazon Customer Service.  

Level 7

Jump to solution
I received a Rock steaming+ stick and started to use it last week. It updated at that time, so should be latest version.

When I watch Jack Ryan 2 directly on my Samsung smart TV I see English subtitles when the actors are speaking Spanish and see no subtitles when English is being spoken.

I have my Roku stick plugged into my Yamaha AV unit (so the sound goes through the full system) but when I watch Jack Ryan 2 this way then I get a different language (like Swedish or Danish) no matter what language they are speaking.

Just my situation to add to the pit.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
I had an Apple TV 3rd generation and watched several episodes of Jack Ryan on Prime Video, the forced subtitles worked. However, my version of Apple TV did not support Disney Plus. We purchased the Roku Streaming Stick+ because it was supposed to support everything - Apple TV, Prime Video, and Disney Plus.

We just received our Roku stick today, we set it up and it updated to the latest software. I downloaded Prime Video channel, signed in, and began watching Jack Ryan. Forced subtitles are not working. Very frustrated! Any solution yet?

We are in Canada
0 Kudos