Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mmeyerer

MLB Blackout on Roku when trying to watch game

So I recently moved to Florida and purchased the MLB TV package so I can watch my beloved Orioles. I can watch the game on my Laptop and my phone but am blacked out on the Roku App. Now I can see any other game on the Roku app which leads me to believe MLB believes my Roku is in the blackout area (MD) and won’t allow me to watch. Is there an account address for the Roku or is it IP address related?? Any help/suggestions are appreciated! 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: MLB Blackout on Roku when trying to watch game

That has absolutely nothing to do with Roku. Sports are often blacked out on streaming. You can just Google sports blackout on streaming. You said you moved. Did you update your billing address and regular address and your Roku account? Do you have a local IP address? Streaming on sports blackout is common but it has nothing to do with Roku. I use YouTube TV and there are certain sporting events that are blacked out the streaming. Find out what’s local network is airing The Orioles game

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: MLB Blackout on Roku when trying to watch game

@Mmeyerer-

Your Orioles are currently playing Tampa Bay.  You are likely in a part of Florida (i.e. everything that isn't close to Miami) that is considered to be the Buccaneers' broadcast area, which is why the game is blacked out for you on MLB.  You can only see these games via a Tampa Bay local option, perhaps a regional sports network, or even a local broadcast station that is carrying the Bucs.  You should get everything else on MLB except when the Orioles are playing in Florida.  I'm not sure how all these additional agreements recently announced for specific games to be carried on YouTube, AppleTV, etc, are going to affect all this.

Here is a link the latest MLB blackout map, which doesn't seem to have been revised since 2019.  https://library.sportingnews.com/2021-08/mlb-blackout-map-embed-031020_nbquebelwu3l1fqbkl0nklu8p.png

It is part of this larger article about MLB blackouts in general for 2022: https://www.sportingnews.com/hk/mlb/news/mlb-blackout-map-restrictions-explained-2022/vgo9hfdkohglhw...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos