Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scrotor
Reel Rookie

Roku Floodlight Camera SE gets "bricked" soon as it does it's firmware update.

So I pick up a Floodlight Camera SE from Walmart.

I follow the setup instructions. The camera reads my QR code that derives from my WIFI login credential.

Soon after, the camera audibly announces the setup is complete.

Just then a mandatory firmware window shows up in the app. I start the procedure, place my phone down with the update screen still active and walked away.

~ 10 minutes later i returen, the screen states the firmware update failed.

Attempts on trying the firmware update again is not possible because now the camera is also unable to connect to my network - "camera offline" ...attempt after attempt. 

Trying to add the camera , from scratch, no longer works as well; the setup eventually times out with a failure to connect to the network.

And guess what, this is the second Roku Floodlight Camera SE I picked up today. The first failed in the same manner. Took it back to Walmart hoping it was just a bad unit and got a replacement (bad idea).

I know the camera communicated just once, prior to the firmware update based on a picture it took that i found on the Smart Home app. 

With this happening 2 times in a row, the firmware update looks to be the main suspect.

The "Firmware Update" screen of the  Smart home app states the following firmware status of the camera. This screen is accessible when selecting the "update them all at once" in the "Firmware Update Required" window that pops up.

Latest version 3.0.2.8391

Current version: 3.0.0.1868

Unless there is another way to reset the camera prior to the firmware update, ( like a power down/up + button press sequence, or maybe a file that can be read off an SD card) this leaves the camera bricked and is now just a $100 dollar motion detecting led floodlight.

I've had a Roku streaming device on all of my T.V's for years. I still have my first, a Roku 3, still running and that came out in 2013!

But based on first impression, coming from my first Roku camera device; stick just to streaming devices.

I'll be returning my 2nd Roku Floodlight Camera SE to Walmart after work tomorrow.

Hopefully Roku can respond with any solutions before then, and I hope it's not "reset your router" or " make sure its 2.4Ghz"

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
scrotor
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Floodlight Camera SE gets "bricked" soon as it does it's firmware update.

Ok so here's an update:

2 weeks have passed, with the flood light still sitting on my work bench untouched since last time.

It occurred to me that there was one thing I didn't try; connecting via the Roku player rather than my android phone.  Since the camera did connect to my network for a brief moment on its first power up/ setup , but never again after selecting firmware update, it did show up on the roku player! ( roku premier model i think)

After that I ran the Android app and it once again prompted for a firmware update. At that point I said F' that and closed the android app. At this point, If i can get it streamed to my roku players around the house, thats good enough for now.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Floodlight Camera SE gets "bricked" soon as it does it's firmware update.

Hi @scrotor,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problem updating the firmware, and it's showing that your camera is offline on your Roku Smart Home app. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. We recommend performing the below steps to see if they can resolve the issue:

1. Refresh the screen.
  2. Sign out of the Roku Smart Home app and sign back in.
  3. Uninstall and re-install the Roku Smart Home app to ensure the app is up-to-date.
  4. Restart your Roku Floodlight Camera SE.
  5. Factory reset your camera. If there is a microSD card inserted, remove it. Press and hold the setup button on the bottom of the camera for 10 seconds, and wait at least 30 seconds for the unit to initialize. The LED status light on the device will change from solid red to flashing red.
  6. Restart your modem and router.

If the issue persists, you can set up your Roku Floodlight Camera SE again and make sure that the device is deleted on the Roku Smart Home app. For more details, you can check out this article about troubleshooting the issue when updating firmware on your smart home device. Additional troubleshooting articles are available if your smart home device is offline, will not power on, or is not working after performing a software update. Release notes with details about the latest firmware updates are also available.

We hope this helps, and we are eager to hear your update about this matter.

Kind regards.                                                                                                                                          Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos