Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillyKokomo
Channel Surfer

How can I live stream my Roku smart cameras on my desktop?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to live stream my Roku Outdoor Wireless Camera and/or my Roku Indoor Camera SE to my desktop or laptop computer?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How can I live stream my Roku smart cameras on my desktop?

Jump to solution

Hi @BillyKokomo 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding your inquiry of live streaming with your Roku Smart Home Cameras.

Please be aware that you will only be able to view a live stream of your Roku Smart Home cameras with the use of the Roku Smart Home mobile app or within the Roku Camera channel on a Roku device.

Hope this provides clarification. If you have any other inquiries in the future regarding your Roku Smart Home devices, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

BillyKokomo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would hope that in the near future the Roku team might consider desktop viewing of live stream video a worthwhile feature.  I appreciate the info, but disappointed in the answer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BillyKokomo 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding your inquiry of live streaming with your Roku Smart Home Cameras.

Please be aware that you will only be able to view a live stream of your Roku Smart Home cameras with the use of the Roku Smart Home mobile app or within the Roku Camera channel on a Roku device.

Hope this provides clarification. If you have any other inquiries in the future regarding your Roku Smart Home devices, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
BillyKokomo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would hope that in the near future the Roku team might consider desktop viewing of live stream video a worthwhile feature.  I appreciate the info, but disappointed in the answer.

Chrisgibson1982
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can you download the roku smart home app onto your computer? If you cannot its just more that surprises me, because honestly it's a terrible app that times out after 5 mins. If you do not tell it you are watching still after 5 mins it kicks you off of the live feed (at least on the tv app). Lmk if you do find the app for the computer. I would be interested if it would be like the phone app or the tv app. I do not currently have a computer but will have one in a couple weeks. It willhelp me decide to keep or move on from this system. Currently i feel it falls short in areas easily fixed.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings @Chrisgibson1982 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the Roku Smart Home mobile app playback.

When you see this time out on the Roku Smart Home mobile app, which camera are you viewing? Please be aware that if you have a battery operated camera this behavior is likely due to a battery saving feature since continuous streaming on a Roku Smart Home camera will consume more battery power.

Please keep us posted with more details about what you are experiencing and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chrisgibson1982
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It times out with both the indoor and outdoor cameras. I also plugged my outdoor camera to power so it doesn't ever lose its charge.  It also don't time out on the phone app, only the tv.  

0 Kudos
Daddy-O13

Jump to solution

I've found the ONLY way to stream to PC is to install an android emulator to my PC.

It's quite a pain in a** because I'm not a gamer, nor am I well versed in java script.  But being fairly savvy in telecommunications and patience, I've found what I believe after exhausting research the best solution to my quandary, and hop[efully any others until; someone writes the software that works on PC databases.

Best of luck to any who read this because I feel that Roku should open the irl to their cameras & streaming devices to make them easier to use rather than keep a monopoly on them being proprietary to their app. After all, this is exactly opposite the reason Roku started in the first place.

Jump to solution

can i use in uk , the app wont download from play is there anyway around it thanks neil

0 Kudos
DemTj

Jump to solution

Please don't waste your time on this garbage, I don't know what to call this Roku outdoor camera. I have tried everything to view it on my PC and can't. They wanted you to purchase their stupid subscription or their device. I have dumped my 3 roku's and got something better.