Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadowborn
Reel Rookie

Camera won't reconnect after changing wifi credentials

Jump to solution

I had to change all my wifi credentials, due to some issues with connections. I'm attempting to reconnect my camera, but it won't recognize my new wifi name and/or password. What can I do about this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Camera won't reconnect after changing wifi credentials

Jump to solution

Hello! @shadowborn,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding your Roku Smart Home devices and are pleased to assist you.

During the setup process, your Roku Smart Home devices adopt Wi-Fi settings from your phone or tablet. When you move or change network equipment, these settings may change, causing your smart home devices to go offline. To update the Wi-Fi settings, repeat the setup process and connect your smart home devices to your new network.

Many Wi-Fi routers today use two signals to provide better speed and coverage. These devices are generally referred to as dual-band routers because they transmit data at the lower 2.4GHz band and the higher 5GHz band. When connecting devices to your wireless network, choices may include more than one network with a similar name. For example, you may see something like MyNetwork_2.4GHz and MyNetwork_5GHz. Make sure you are selecting the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.

If you have trouble connecting your device to your new Wi-Fi network, refer to:

Please keep us updated on your findings. We will be glad to assist you further. We anticipate hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @shadowborn,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding your Roku Smart Home devices and are pleased to assist you.

During the setup process, your Roku Smart Home devices adopt Wi-Fi settings from your phone or tablet. When you move or change network equipment, these settings may change, causing your smart home devices to go offline. To update the Wi-Fi settings, repeat the setup process and connect your smart home devices to your new network.

Many Wi-Fi routers today use two signals to provide better speed and coverage. These devices are generally referred to as dual-band routers because they transmit data at the lower 2.4GHz band and the higher 5GHz band. When connecting devices to your wireless network, choices may include more than one network with a similar name. For example, you may see something like MyNetwork_2.4GHz and MyNetwork_5GHz. Make sure you are selecting the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.

If you have trouble connecting your device to your new Wi-Fi network, refer to:

Please keep us updated on your findings. We will be glad to assist you further. We anticipate hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
shadowborn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have tried this. I have the new wifi name and password added to my phone so it recognizes it, in the app. However I get to where it scans the qr code and it says it can't find that network. Even though my phone is connected to it. Then the connection times out.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@shadowborn,

Thanks for the updates,

A quick response (QR) code stores information as a set of pixels in a square grid that can be read by a digital device, like the camera in your phone or tablet. Roku uses this technology to share Wi-Fi® information like the network name (or SSID) making it quicker and easier to connect your smart camera or doorbell.

Check your devices

A QR code stays active for 5 minutes. If more than 5 minutes elapse before you are able to successfully scan the code, go back and let the smart home app generate a new QR code.

When scanning the code, hold your camera or doorbell about 5 inches from the screen on your phone or tablet for at least 5 seconds.

If you do not hear "QR code scanned... please wait", check your different devices.

Camera or doorbell

• If still attached from the factory, remove the protective film from the camera lens.
  • Check for smudges or dust and gently wipe the camera lens using a soft, microfiber cloth.

Phone or tablet

• Inspect the screen for greasy fingerprints or dirt and wipe it clean.
  • If a screen protector is installed and damaged, temporarily remove it and try the scan again.
  • Check the screen for cracked glass and try adjusting the angle of the scan. If the damage is severe enough, you may need to scan the code with a different mobile device.
  • Make sure the entire QR code is visible and not obstructed by something obvious like your fingertip or fingernail.
  • If you use an Apple device, turn off "smart invert" or "classic invert." This setting changes the way colors are displayed and may cause the scan to fail.

Adjust the scan

Once your devices are clean and in good order, try adjusting how you are scanning the QR code with the following suggestions.

• If the screen on your mobile device is larger than 5.5 inches, you may need to hold your camera or doorbell more than 5 inches from the QR code.
  • Pull your camera or doorbell about 12 inches from the QR code and slowly move it closer and hold it for 5 seconds at various distances until the scan is successful.
  • Hold the QR code upside down and then refocus your camera or doorbell by slowly adjusting the distance.
  • To account for glare, slightly adjust the angle of your camera or doorbell. If that does not help, try scanning the QR code somewhere with different lighting especially if you are outdoors or near direct sunlight.

If none of the suggestions resolved the issue, try to factory reset your camera or doorbell and attempt the setup process again.

Check the Wi-Fi connection

Most Roku Smart Home devices cannot connect to a 5GHz Wi-Fi network. If you have a dual-band router*, make sure to connect your phone or tablet to your 2.4GHz wireless network from the settings for this device before launching the smart home app. For help, learn how to identify and connect to your 2.4GHz network.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
shadowborn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok, here's a breakdown of what happens from start to finish of what happens when I attempt to connect my camera:

1- I press the setup button while the app is open.

2 - I hear "Ready to connect"

3 - I tap the option on the app "I heard Ready to connect" and continue.

4 - I select the 2.4ghz wifi signal name and enter the password

5 - the qr code comes up

6 - I use the camera to scan the qr

7 - the camera says "QR code scanned"

8 - I tap the selection on the app " QR code scanned" and select continue.

9 - The camera goes silent for 1 min then it says "Cannot find wifi network"

I will note that up until this point it was connected fine. To my old credentials. So, this being a camera cover or it not reading the qr code.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.