Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Roku Factory Reset - Doesn't Log Out Of All Apps

Jump to solution

I'm confused, I did factory resets on my two Roku Ultras and my Roku Express+. After I reconnected them back to my Roku account several apps were still logged in:

Hulu, Vudu, HBO Max, Disney+, Plex & Pandora

I thought a factory reset was supposed to actually log you out of any channels you had accounts with. Why did other apps like:

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube & Youtube TV

log out but not the others? This makes no sense, does this mean if I did a factory reset to sell my Rokus whoever set them up would still be logged into those channels on my accounts?

Is there an actual option to do a true factory reset on these Roku devices? Because keeping you logged in is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Factory Reset - Doesn't Log Out Of All Apps

Jump to solution

@Emissary35

Thanks for the post.

What you are experiencing is Roku's feature of single sign-in which enables channels that are linked to your Roku account have the credentials automatically authenticated.

If you did not activate and link your Roku device to your Roku account after performing a factory reset, the channels would need to be authenticated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Emissary35

Thanks for the post.

What you are experiencing is Roku's feature of single sign-in which enables channels that are linked to your Roku account have the credentials automatically authenticated.

If you did not activate and link your Roku device to your Roku account after performing a factory reset, the channels would need to be authenticated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did not request: "Roku's feature of single sign-in which enables channels that are linked to your Roku account to have the credentials automatically authenticated."

I want to be LOGGED OUT of ALL of my accounts when I do a factory reset!

Where is the option to turn this ridiculous "Single Sign-in" off? And if there isn't an option to disable this 'feature' then there needs to be one created immediately!

Roku does not have the right to turn on a feature like this without my permission. If I factory reset any of my Rokus I expect everything to be logged out when I reconnect them to my Roku account.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Single sign-on has been around for years, so if you really expect them to change it immediately, I think they will need to know specifically what is wrong with it.    For example, the concern in your first post sounded serious, but now that we know the buyer would have to login to your Roku account, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Personally, I think it’s cool that if I buy additional devices, I’m logged into as many apps as possible but maybe I’m not seeing something.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Adding a feature like this without the user's consent is unacceptable. This 'feature' should have been made optional from the moment it was introduced with a clear way to turn it on and off in your account, not simply forced.

You say this has been around for years? Well that makes it even worse that it's been around for so long and this hasn't been addressed to create a way to disable this automatic sign in. This just goes to show that Roku doesn't put any common sense thought into the fact that not everybody might like this.

I always have a problem with any company forcing things into their software like this, in which THEY have made a decision that THEY think is best for YOU! And then doing it WITHOUT your permission! There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have the option to enable/disable this automatic sign in as we see fit!

So what is "specifically wrong with it" as you say? It's FORCED on me, that's what's wrong! I want a way to disable it. Which is a completely reasonable request and something that should have been included with this 'feature' when it was rolled out.

0 Kudos
jenhi1170

Jump to solution

The SSO is great, but there needs to be a way to turn it off or unlink it from the Roku account. I can't log out of a Hulu account because I don't have the pin to the Hulu account and there is no option to log out on the Hulu profile page. I've factory reset the tv twice and no luck; it still uses the old login. So I logged in to the tv with a different email and was then able to log in to Hulu using my new account. But, then I had to manually log back in to every other app because the tv is no longer linked to my other email. It's very frustrating.

0 Kudos