Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I should've returned my Roku

Jump to solution

I got a new Roku and was upset that I had to put payment information in just to create an account.  This morning I see an article of a data security breach.  I should've returned it and not set up an account because it felt very uncomfortable to me to have to do this.  I should've trusted my gut, my payment information is important and shouldn't be required to use their product when I'm not required to buy anything from them to set up the Roku.  That's wrong.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I should've returned my Roku

Jump to solution

@shelley95403, you can always remove your payment information and while it isn't obvious, it's possible to create a Roku account without entering any payment information.  The so-called "data breach" was simply hackers taking advantage of people that use the same email and password everywhere.  From everything I've seen, no one's payment information was leaked (try to view your own payment information attached to your account), but once someone logs into your account they can make purchases and do anything else just the same as you could.  If I was naive enough to use the same email address and password everywhere I'd be far more worried about other accounts than my Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I should've returned my Roku

Jump to solution

@shelley95403, you can always remove your payment information and while it isn't obvious, it's possible to create a Roku account without entering any payment information.  The so-called "data breach" was simply hackers taking advantage of people that use the same email and password everywhere.  From everything I've seen, no one's payment information was leaked (try to view your own payment information attached to your account), but once someone logs into your account they can make purchases and do anything else just the same as you could.  If I was naive enough to use the same email address and password everywhere I'd be far more worried about other accounts than my Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.