Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherman1

Trying to set up Roku but my internet has a username and password feature

I’ve just bought a Roku express 4K and I’m trying to set it up in my dorm but the internet here needs a username and password is there anyway to still connect it 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Trying to set up Roku but my internet has a username and password feature

@Sherman1-

To help you understand how this works...

Many hotels, dorms, etc, are set up with a WiFi system that you connect to by logging in via a web page accessed by the web browser on a computer, tablet, or phone. When you have logged in with whatever information that web page requests, it establishes your internet connection for that device. Any additional devices must be logged in separately. The institution may place a limit on the number of devices you may connect.

But the Roku has no web browser, so how can you log it into such a system?

In order to log the Roku into the net's web page, Roku provides a Hotel and Dorm mode in which you still use your computer or mobile device, but you connect it to the net through the Roku using a WiFi Direct connection to the Roku. Your browser submits the login data like normal, but it goes through the Roku and thus establishes the Roku's net connection.

This Roku page explains how to access and use the Hotel and Dorm capabilities: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

BUT ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT that is mentioned in that article, but I am repeating here for emphasis:

Before you can set up the Hotel/Dorm connection, your Roku must first be activated and linked to your Roku account.  For a new Roku, that means you must first connect and set it up elsewhere before trying the Hotel/Dorm connection.  If you have a WiFi hotspot on your phone you can set up while connected to that as your network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos