Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okurnekorb
Channel Surfer

Roku will not connect to Asus GT-AX6000! Please work with Asus on this!

Jump to solution

Hello,

As you may have heard, Roku devices will not connect to Asus's ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 router.

Could you please fix this/work with Asus to fix this as soon as possible?

This is an unacceptable problem as it is causing users to not to be able to use Roku products with that router!!!

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
okurnekorb
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku will not connect to Asus GT-AX6000! Please work with Asus on this!

Jump to solution

It appears that with the latest Roku firmware, the issue has been resolved!

I had changed the Protected Management Frames settings on the router, previous to any software updates, but it did not seem to help.

I notice that an update was made to the Roku software on 4/16 and another on 4/21.

I am now able to connect all Roku devices, both old and new, to the Asus GT-AX6000!

Thank you very much for resolving this issue so quickly!!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@okurnekorb 

Apparently Roku has discovered the culprit regarding Asus routers and will be releasing a fix in a future update.

Per @RokuDanny-R ..."We have found the cause of the issue that is affecting connectivity with Asus routers and Roku devices. We believe this issue will be resolved in a future update. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding."

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Won-t-Connect-to-wifi-Error-Code-01...)

---------

For now, you may just have to create a guest network (and perhaps leave it open/no password), until Roku releases the fix.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
okurnekorb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, I saw this.

I am just trying to make sure everyone at Roku is aware of this MAJOR issue so it gets fixed as soon as possible.

I just bought this router and cannot use it until this issue is resolved.

I salute RokuDanny and eagerly await Roku making good on this promise of a fix!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
okurnekorb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

By the way, I have such confidence in Roku and like them so much more than the competition that I just bought 2 more Roku sticks yesterday, even while this issue exists!!  🙂

0 Kudos
xcloudx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I got mine to connect, under wifi settings protected management frames is required with the default option, I turned it to disabled and capable and my tcl tv will connect no issues now. Hope this helps! 

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@xcloudx 

Thanks for sharing that suggestion.   Much appreciated and very useful.  Certainly on to something if this setting is reflecting Required/Mandatory or using WPA3 security.  Did you happen to notice what your default settings were before making the changes?  

The PMF setting can certainly be a contributing factor and may simply be a matter of just having to toggle this setting in order to make the Asus firmware recognize the Roku as a non-threat during authentication.

If the Security setting is set to WPA2-Personal or WPA2/WPA3, the Roku "should" connect if the PMF is set to Disabled or Capable (default setting of WPA2-personal).  Few devices will connect if set to Mandatory/Required (default setting of WPA3-personal/enterprise)  since  this will require only PMF capable clients of connecting to network.

As you indicated, this Setting is under Advanced Settings/Wireless (General).  (https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042472)

-----

Have you found that you able to connect on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands after toggling the PMF setting.  Only other avenue so far has been to select Open Network (under the Security/Authentication Method) or to create a Guest network w/password.

----

click on image to enlarge

rokuAsusPMF.png

0 Kudos
xcloudx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Just got the router today and even my security camera was having trouble connecting with 2.4ghz so the only thing I changed was PMF I turned it to disabled and it worked. My 5ghz was required still and I couldn’t get the tv to connect. Changed it to disabled and it worked like normal. 

Tried it on capable and it still works like normal. But once I change it back to required I can’t connect with the camera or my tv and or my Roku stick in the other room. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@xcloudx 

Thanks for the detailed response.  

Enabling "Required" or ( "Mandatory" ) on other routers will automatically enable WPA3 authentication.  This is going to be a very high level of Security to prevent "man in the middle" attacks, IP spoofing and such.  Both the router and the client (the attached wireless device) must support WPA3 protocols in order to communicate with each other.  

I doubt the Roku devices (at least the older ones) will be able to have this capability.  I even doubt the newer Roku devices have this capability. (I see no mention of Wi-Fi Certified WPA3 documentation).

----

I do think you have found an important setting that may be contributing to user issues here.  I noticed in the firmware GUI that selecting WPA2-personal does not appear to be automatically disabling the "Required" setting. (Or, if it is, it is doing it silently but not showing in settings display as "Disabled" or "Capable" - I do not believe this is the case.  It does look like it is remaining on the "Required" setting, meaning an additional, manual toggling/triggering to disabled or capable is required by user.).

----

Thanks again for bringing this up.  Will make sure to include in troubleshooting steps going forward. 👍

okurnekorb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It appears that with the latest Roku firmware, the issue has been resolved!

I had changed the Protected Management Frames settings on the router, previous to any software updates, but it did not seem to help.

I notice that an update was made to the Roku software on 4/16 and another on 4/21.

I am now able to connect all Roku devices, both old and new, to the Asus GT-AX6000!

Thank you very much for resolving this issue so quickly!!!

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@okurnekorb 

Good to hear.

What was the full OS build number that you received that fixed the issue?

(Settings/System/About)

0 Kudos