Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thesixthattempt
Reel Rookie

Roku remote at home wifi not home network

I went to my family’s house but forgot the Roku remote. I can’t use the Roku remote app as the wifi on my phone doesn’t match the Roku express settings. How can I change wifi settings on Roku express settings by signing into my Roku account? Is this possible? Why offer Roku remote on phone if you can’t communicate with the Roku device? Please I need some help. I was only staying for a day or so but without the remote I can’t do anything. I have Rogers universal remote if there is a way to program and sync with Roku express. Please some suggestions

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote at home wifi not home network

Since your Roku device isn't connected to any network there's no way to control it without a remote.  Your only hope is to configure the Wi-Fi to match the network the Roku was last connected to (same SSID/network name and password).  If you know those, it's possible to use configure your phone's hotspot to match and use yet another phone/tablet connected to that hotspot to act as a remote to set up the Roku for your family's Wi-Fi.

It's probably easier to run out to a local store and pick up a Roku remote or a cheap universal remote that supports Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Thesixthattempt
Reel Rookie

I’m in the country and I have data on my Apple device and using my family’s wifi. It doesn’t show the wifi SSID at my home. But I have the wifi SSID name wifi address ipv4address ipaddress subnet mask and router ipaddress info

0 Kudos
Thesixthattempt
Reel Rookie

With this info as my partner took screenshot of connected to wifi from device at our home. Is there a way to have my iPhone connect to wifi settings for my home so it matches with the last stored wifi settings in Roku express player? It’s not a Roku tv and I’m nowhere near a store I have universal remote with Rogers tv provider but I don’t find any codes to sync with my Roku device. If I could just change wifi setting in Roku express using my account signed in on phone to be for my family place I wouldn’t have this problem. Why is there way to check subscriptions etc in signed account but I can’t modify wifi settings stored on my Roku device wirelessly?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Thesixthattempt wrote:

Why is there way to check subscriptions etc in signed account but I can’t modify wifi settings stored on my Roku device wirelessly?

What good would it do?  Your device isn't connected to any network.  How do you expect these settings to get to your Roku device?

Set up your phone's hotspot to match those settings your partner gave you.  I can't tell you how to do it on an iPhone, but there's settings for the hotspot's SSID/network name and password.  Make sure you also set the band to 2.4GHz and the channel to one from 1 to 11 and hopefully the Roku will connect to it.  Someone with an iPhone can probably tell you exactly how to do that.  You still need another phone/tablet (with the Roku app on it to use as a remote) connected to the hotspot  since even with the Roku connected to the hotspot the phone with the hotspot won't be able to connect to the Roku. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Thesixthattempt
Reel Rookie

I guess the way I was thinking was how you type in ipaddress for internet provider and it accesses router when you sign in. I guess if their was way to connect to network of Roku by plugging into it like router and then on the Roku webpage sign in if you could configure wifi settings but this is all too technical for me. I just realized unless I invest in Roku tv so I can use universal remote to communicate with its sensor. I am going to have to look after this mini remote like it’s life or death bc without it I can’t use the device express model. Thank you for the advice and I’m home again I had to do without watching it. Just like the Apple player this is very flawed having to depend on one tiny remote and without it you are basically stuck. Good day

0 Kudos