Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Araestel
Channel Surfer

Roku on Ethernet dorm WiFi won't connect to phone on wireless dorm wifi

The result is that I can't use Screen Mirroring or connect the Roku to the app- it just never shows up.

My Roku Ultra is connected via Ethernet to a CISCO router in my dorm room, connected to dorm internet. My phone should be connected to the same router, but the network IDs are different. My Roku's is 10.1.100.xxx, and my phone's is 10.1.83.xxx. I would connect my Roku wirelessly to my dorm WiFi, but the WiFi is both username and password protected, which doesn't seem to register on the Roku. It shows up as being unlocked, but when I try to connect, it loads forever then gives me Error 014. Additionally, when I try to connect manually to the Roku through the app by inputting the 10.1.100.xxx IP, it tells me that there's no Roku on the IP.

At the time of writing, I have tried:

• Restarting the Roku and my phone
  • Connecting my phone and Roku to the dorm WiFi through my laptop's hotspot- this worked, but my laptop has to be open and turned on, which isn't ideal, and neither is the speed
  • Changing my phone's IP, using a proxy, and trying to use CISCO's AnyConnect app
  • Connecting to the guest WiFi, which also has a login page, but no username-password lock- I got stuck in an endless loop of authenticating, and the speed there isn't ideal either, not to mention having to log in again every hour
  • Turning off Private WiFi Address on my phone
  • Adding the Roku to the app manually (see above)
  • Resetting the network connection
  • Connecting my phone via Bluetooth
  • Reloading AirPlay
  • Updating software
  • Connecting to WiFi wirelessly (see above)

To cover the relevant information:

• Device connect is enabled
  • Control by mobile apps is set to permissive
  • Screen mirroring mode is set to prompt
  • I'm on an iPhone
  • The Roku model is 4802X, software version is 12.0.0, build is 4184-C2

If anyone has seen this problem before and was able to fix it, or if I'm just missing something, please let me know

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku on Ethernet dorm WiFi won't connect to phone on wireless dorm wifi

@Araestel wrote:

My phone should be connected to the same router, but the network IDs are different. My Roku's is 10.1.100.xxx, and my phone's is 10.1.83.xxx.

This is your problem.  You need to figure why they're on a different subnet.  There may be a setting in the Cisco router to split wired vs. wireless devices.  What happens if you connect the Roku device to the Cisco router via Wi-Fi?  The router could also isolate wireless devices by default and probably has a setting for that, so if they're both connected to Wi-Fi and still can't see each other look for that setting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Araestel
Channel Surfer

I can't connect the Roku to the router via WiFi because it needs a username and password login, rather than just the password, which the Roku doesn't seem to be able to do. I also can't check the settings on the router, as it's dorm WiFi and managed by the university. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

A network that requires you to log in by entering a username and password into a web page via a web browser is the reason Roku developed its Hotel/Dorm Connect System.

This Roku page explains the process: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Araestel
Channel Surfer

I've checked that out, but that's not the problem I'm having. The username and password aren't being requested by a web page, they're being required to sign into the locked network, the same way just a password would be used with any other locked network. A screenshot of the page it shows me on my phone is enclosed

IMG_7549.jpeg

0 Kudos
renojim

@Araestel wrote:

My Roku Ultra is connected via Ethernet to a CISCO router in my dorm room, connected to dorm internet. My phone should be connected to the same router...

I'm confused or maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to say.  I assume your phone is connected to your Cisco router via Wi-Fi.  Connect the Ultra to the Cisco router via Wi-Fi and see if the phone can communicate with it.

0 Kudos
Araestel
Channel Surfer

I understand you. I can't connect my Roku to the router via WiFi because it doesn't understand the login process, and ends up loading forever then giving me error 014. That's the whole reason I got the Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Araestel, I'm sorry.  I guess I misunderstood.  I thought the Cisco router was yours and that you were trying to use it to give you a wired connection and to bridge the connection between your devices and the school's network.  I still don't quite understand the setup (everyone has a Cisco router in their room?), but if everyone in your school/dorm is connecting to the same network, then if you could connect your phone to your Roku, so could everyone else.

0 Kudos
Araestel
Channel Surfer

No worries, and you're right- there's one main network that spans all of campus, and everyone has their own router that boosts the network and has Ethernet ports, so nobody has a better or worse connection. Through Airplay you can view any Airplay-enabled devices that are wirelessly connected to the same router, and which router you connect to seems to be at least somewhat random, (except for, of course, the aspect of proximity) because I'm not connecting to the router in my room, and that's part of the problem I'm having. I'm going to try what you were saying next; getting my own router and hooking it up to the one in my room, then connecting to the signal that broadcasts. It worked fine when I was using my laptop as the middleman, so my hope is that it'll work with an actual router.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.