Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra won't connect via Wired connection

Jump to solution

I am going to cut my spectum cable soon. I want to do a wired connection with the Roku ultra.  I see the ethernet port on the Roku Ultra in the video where does the other end of the ethernet go? (my tv has not ethernet port only hdmi)   Will i need to get another modem from Spectrum they will be my internet provider.I have an modem upstairs w my desktop computer, it is wired as well .  I really like to have everything understood so there are minimal to no issues in setup.   Thanks!   Carol

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@alumcreeklady

Thanks for the post.

If you are planning to connect a Roku device through a wired connection, one end of the ethernet cable will plug into the Roku device, while the other end will either connect to your router or modem.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
sjjanson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
HI Danny, 

After a lot of trial and error with my wiring, I discovered the ethernet port on the back of the Roku device was defective.  All the connecting wires inside the port were all twisted and smashed.  It had already been 30 days so Walmart would not allow a return.  The WIFI on the device works fine. 

Steve

alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you!Carol

0 Kudos
alumcreeklady
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I will hook my Roku up as soon as possible to avoid the issue you had.  Carol

0 Kudos
Ch4hand
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had all of my Roku Ultra's going through a switch. I decided to change out the switch I was using and it started working just fine. My switch must have gone out. 

G7

Jump to solution

I don’t have a Roku Ultra but have a TCL Roku TV and had wired to Ethernet from beginning, for years, then all of a sudden in last year or so, it stopped working. I tried everything, new cable, rebooting modem, TV, routers, the whole bit. I gave up and have been running Wifi since. My suspicion is a software update came down and it stopped working or something. I keep hoping for a new Roku OS update to see if it fixes it but nothing has come down for months. How does an Ethernet jack stop working? Never seen that in my life so must be software related. Let’s go Roku, provide some support here there is clearly an issue with 65+ replies!! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@G7, I known the TCL wireless adapter is prone to failures, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a hardware issue affecting your TCL TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
WildBillX

Jump to solution

I tried to figure put why is stopped working with wired. I tried everything. I made sure the Ethernet cable worked on another device. I have an old Roku 3 so I tried that. It did not work right away but started working after awhile.

I retested the Roku Ultra and it worked. It was unplugged for an hour.  That may be it.

0 Kudos
Bullnclaw

Jump to solution

Well I read through 7 pages of wired connection issues.... tried all of the suggested troubleshooting actions..all to no avail....then finally hit that hidden  reset area on the bottom of the ultra...when through the activation...and voila! Success... why didn't I think of that first? 

0 Kudos