Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielAllen2934
Reel Rookie

Roku Express keeps restarting

Roku Express keeps restarting once I enter the password for my wireless connection. It worked fine for a month now will not do nothing

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express keeps restarting

Hi @DanielAllen2934

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If your Roku Express is constantly restarting after entering the wireless password, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the issue:

• Restart your router: Sometimes the issue may be with your router, so try restarting it and see if it resolves the issue.
  • Factory reset your Roku Express: To perform a factory reset on your Roku Express.  Go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset on your Roku device.
  • Check for updates: Make sure your Roku Express is running the latest software version. To check for updates, go to Settings > System > System update > Check now.
  • Check your wireless signal strength: If the signal strength of your wireless connection is weak, it may cause your Roku Express to restart. Try moving your router closer to your Roku Express or using a wired connection instead.

We hope it helps!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

DanielAllen2934
Reel Rookie

I can’t even get to the settings, once I turn it on, it makes me choose a language then straight to the wireless settings. Is there a way to get to the Home Screen before the wireless settings.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @DanielAllen2934

Thank you for keeping in touch!

I'd be delighted to look closely to see how we may assist you in getting started. Do you receive an error message when attempting to connect to your wireless network or when streaming a specific channel?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried re-connecting your Roku to a solid wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing? You may also try to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as another mobile phone signal typically provided and maintained by specific mobile phone (cellular) service providers, to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos

I am having the same issues. I have been able to check language and then put my email address in and then it will restart and ask for email again. It has since stopped turning on at all unless I unplug it. I can't even do an update check or anything.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JessicaBaugher 

Try plugging the Roku device directly into wall outlet if you are currently using the TV USB power port for power. (use a cell phone wall adapter if you do not have a power adapter).

You can also try connecting the Roku device to a mobile hotpot (if available to you) to get through setup and activation.

Final thing to try is a Factory Reset. (press and hold the Reset button for 30+ seconds) and then try setup again. (if possible, use the wall adapter and the mobile hotspot initially.  If no hotspot, use the wall adapter and make sure your 2.4ghz wifi/network band is available).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
tudeen
Reel Rookie

I have done factory reset and it still restarts, it’s random apps and it’s all the time.  Any suggestions?  I’m about ready to toss this thing in the garbage. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@tudeen 

If you are already using wall power and the device keeps restarting, then either replace power adapter or if still under warranty (30 days return, 1 year replacement), try exchanging it or go up a level in device model. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

----

Unless you have the newer model 3960 Roku Express, previous models of the Roku Express can be a bit problematic.  Really meant for basic streaming.  If you want a little more speed and memory, then the Roku Express 3960 or the Roku Express 4k+ 3941 would be a good buy for the price.

With all the devices, really suggested to use wall power rather than the TV port for power since underpowered devices can have many issues.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

WertzTV
Reel Rookie

My roku stick just goes to the title "Roku" screen. That blinks for a little bit. The screen goes black.  Then back to "Roku". I bought this about three months ago. The model is 3941x2

I have:

• unplugged it
  • pressed the reset button
  • held the reset button for 45 sec. (factory reset did not start)

Is there anything else I can do?

0 Kudos
renojim

If you're using the TV's USB port to power it try using a USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  If you're already doing that, try a different one.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos