Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefoster
Reel Rookie

ROKU ULTRA - Connect wireless using 802.1X?

I am attempting to connect to my College network which uses 802.1x, however I can't figure out how to get a username and password prompt.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU ULTRA - Connect wireless using 802.1X?

@jefoster 

Many college networks require a login acknowledgement page similar to what some hotels do. However, in order for that to work, you musts first have set up the Roku. That is, you cannot used a hotel/dorm mode (that's what Roku calls it) as device setup, but rather, for subsequent usage after full setup. Could this be what is happening?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jefoster
Reel Rookie

No, we don't use that form of authentication.  When attempting to connect, i a box pops up asking for username and password.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jefoster wrote:

No, we don't use that form of authentication.  When attempting to connect, i a box pops up asking for username and password.

A username and password to connect to the network? Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Normally, you see the network name, select it, then are prompted simply for a password.

Anything above that is what I'm talking about.

The Roku must be set up first (on a different network, of course). You can't take a new out of the box Roku or a freshly factory reset Roku and connect to hotel/dorm for initial setup. Gotta get past initial setup.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Expanding on Roku Hotel and Dorm provisions:

Many hotels, dorms, etc, are set up with a wifi system that you connect to by logging in on a web page via an internet web browser.

The Roku has no web browser you can use to log into this web page. In order to log the Roku into the net's web page, you use the browser in a wifi-equipped computer or mobile device and set it up to temporarily work through the Roku. You do this by connecting your computer or mobile device to the Roku via a wifi-direct connection. When you then log into the system's web page via the web browser while connecting through the Roku it establishes the Roku's connection.

This Roku page explains the process in greater detail: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

And as @DBDukes has already mentioned, you can only do this on a Roku that has already completed its initial setup on a different network.  If you have a cell phone with a wifi hotspot, you could set up your Roku by connecting to the hotspot for your internet, then after that is completed, shut down the hotspot, restart your Roku and try the Hotel and Dorm process again.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
jefoster
Reel Rookie

This requires the Roku to be able to connect and check connectivity, but it can't even do that prior to authenticating.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jefoster 

Let's clarify one thing.

Has the Roku Ultra already been set up? Or is it in factory fresh state (new out of the box, or a factory reset done)?

DBDukes

0 Kudos