Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Masada1219

New roku express device won't connect to wifi

I have my roku express all set up. It's replacing my older version of roku. I am trying to connect it to my wifi at home, but it will not connect. It has a very strong connection message, amd my phone and computer are connect to wifi just fine. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New roku express device won't connect to wifi

@Masada1219 

If you have any Roku Express model number other than the new Roku Express 3960, and you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, AT&T), then you should verify that your 2.4ghz Wireless Mode in your router is set to b/g/n.

Feel free to post back with your Roku model number, your ISP (internet service provider) and some specifics of your issue (as well as any error codes you are seeing) if the above is not applicable or you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New roku express device won't connect to wifi

There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku WiFi connections. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT

Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

Reconfiguring Router
Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos