Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EmJ1212

Mobile remote using Hotspot

Is it possible to use my Hotspot on my phone A12 without ir blaster as remote control 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Mobile remote using Hotspot

@EmJ1212, you can only use an app on your phone as a remote if it's connected to the same local network as your Roku, so if the Roku is connected to your hotspot then the Roku app on your phone should be able to find it.  If your phone is connected to the same network as your Roku then there's no need for any hotspot unless that's your only Internet connection.

I just tried an experiment and I had to enter the IP address of the Roku device manually (find it under Settings->Network->About) and the app wasn't too happy about my phone not being connected to Wi-Fi, but I did get it to work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

I cannot even figure out how to connect tv to wireless network to use the mobile app remote. Plz help fast 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Babycakes4lyfe,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Are you trying to initially set up your Roku device to your wireless network? Please be noted that you'll need the actual remote to connect your Roku device to your wireless network and for you to use the mobile app it should be needed to be connected to the same network.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding How to use the Roku® mobile app to control your Roku device without a remote | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Needmytv0

Pls help my phone remote won't connect to my Roku device with me using hotspot but it did earlier 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Needmytv0, I could never get the app to work on the phone that was acting as a hotspot.  Do you have another device (phone or tablet) that you can connect to the same hotspot?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos